Friday, August 1, 2008

The "outpatient, non-invasive, no-restriction" surgery

At 2 p.m. yesterday my sister and I finally got to swap places. I drove X-man over (he fell asleep in the carseat). She met me outside, drove him back to the house and put him into bed for a 2.5 hour nap.

I sat with my mom. She was having incredible throat pain 24 hours after the surgery. It was preventing her from drinking and hence urinating.

While I was there the doctor came in. We asked him a bunch of questions about the throat pain. He dismissed it as a passing issue. When he had first told her about the surgery, he had told her that she would have it in the morning and go home later the same day. But when she talked to his office before the surgery, they changed it so that she would spend a night in the hospital

Since that changed, Melissa, Mom and I kept asking if she had any restrictions. He kept saying, "No." The last time Mom asked, "So technically I could be out mowing my lawn tomorrow?"

"Yes," he said.

Then the discharge paperwork came.

No driving for 4 days. No bathing for a week. No exertion for 4 days. No lifting over 10 lbs for 3 days. And it made me wonder what the hell "No restrictions" meant to him.

Last night we changed Mom's bandages on her burns. Melissa showed my mom's best friend Cathie and I how to do it. So we're all in the know-how. The doctor said the burns came from the chemicals in the adhesives used putting things on her back. There are three. One is definitely a large (size of the palm of X-man's hand) second-degree burn. I'm not sure we're supposed to be happy that it's a chemical burn rather than a heat burn, but whatever. She's schedule to get them all rechecked at her regular doctor's office next week.

Mom's throat still hurts, but she was able to swallow some applesauce for dinner. We also got them to prescribe her some pain meds (Tylenol 3) for the throat and burn pains. My sister went home last night to do some laundry and go to work today. She's coming back tomorrow. The plan had been for MacTroll to take the bus from O'Hare to Rockford and then for us to go home this afternoon.

I'm going to wait and see how it goes. We might leave later -- or just wait until tomorrow afternoon. (Quigs, if you're reading this, I'll give you a call when we know what's happening).

Either way, this was way more invasive than anyone ever told us. And it makes me scared of what it would be like if she had gone through something far more serious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you and your sister to always be with your mom. My best friend in FL has been through the medical wringer in the last few years and she has always stressed to me how important it is to have a *very strong* advocate for the patient.

We'd like to think it wouldn't be necessary because doctors are supposed to take good care of their patients, right? Increasingly, though, it seems that it's about efficiency, and someone has to ask those detailed questions, and ask again, and again... like you guys did. I'm not denigrating doctors, but it seems like it is more about the surgical procedure and less about the overall impact that surgery is going to have on, oh say, a person's ability to live/enjoy life.

I'm sorry that the surgery was not as simple as they led you to believe. I hope her recovery speeds up and is complete.

Quigs78 said...

Your poor mom. And poor you. You kinda undid all of your vacation relaxation in about three days.

I'll go love on your kitties and stick them with needles for as long as you need...

Lavender Lemonade said...

Hang in there and tell your mom, Hi & Get Well Soon, from me. :)