Thursday, July 31, 2008

Things as they are

I'm up in Rockford "helping" my mom after her surgery. The truth is that in the last 48 hours I've seen her for a whopping 3 hours total. My sister has had to bear the brunt of Mom watching because X-man is freaking out a bit.

We were at the hospital yesterday from 9 until 1 and then again from 3 until 6. My sister was there from 6:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. getting my mom situated. But nothing went as they said it would.

The 2-3 hour Pulmonary Vein Ablation procedure became 5 hours. Then they found out that they didn't have per properly on the table and she has burns on her back now. They never paged us (as they said they would) when she woke up. So, Melissa went and asked the volunteer. The nurse's reaction was, "Where have you been? We've been looking everywhere!" Funny since we'd all been sitting there for HOURS with a pager... the device THEY gave us to find us.

Mom was a bit out of it. I got to speak with her briefly before I had to take X-man for dinner. Then this morning when we went back, he took one look at her recovery roommate and freaked out. The elderly woman was asleep. But she looked dead.

I was at least pleased that he was able to tell me he was scared and wanted to go, rather than just standing there scared out of his wits.

We found a McDonald's and picked up some apple juice and drinks and went to the park. The park's main road was closed, so we had to go out the in... Do Not Enter my ass. Because EVERYONE was doing it.

We played until X-man pooped through his pants. It would have been fine, except he had to go down the roll-y slide and well, it acted like a rolling pin on Playdough.

So, he kept playing, in a fresh diaper but without pants. He's not napping... so we're going to go to the grocery store and pick up some sore throat stuff for my mom. She's had two tubes in her throat. So she's sore. Melissa is still at the hospital waiting for them to release my mom. But they're watching her kidneys (not enough output compared to input) and the Doctor hasn't come to speak with her yet.

Sigh.

2 comments:

the sandwich life said...

I feel for you. Best of luck...

Anonymous said...

Oi. I hope that you mom is home and doing better now. Even if you're not with her as much as you'd like to be, I'm sure that it means a lot to have you and X there.