Thursday, July 3, 2008

Economics

Remember how I invested in Quicken?

Well, I've used it to catch up with the last 60 days of spending to help show trends, so I could project an updated, realistic monthly budget taking into consideration the increasing price of the BIG 3: fuel, food and energy.

The reality of the situation did not make MacTroll happy. 

Clearly, he wasn't mad at me, but it's kind of hard to argue with the numbers. I think he was more shocked by how much fresh fruit and vegetables and shopping "green" has cost us. Today I gave us each a target number for weekly spending amounts based on his salary income, and starting Monday... they go into effect.

In addition to his twice monthly paychecks, once a month MacTroll earns commission as part of the sales team at Apple. Sometimes this check is $100, sometimes this check is $1,500. We have no control over what it will be. It all depends on who sold how much in his group. That bonus (before we built our McMansion) was our savings for emergency spending, travel, long-term investments, etc. 

It is separate from our retirement, X-man's college savings and our stock portfolio (I'm laughing when I say this, because really it's just money we put into Apple through their Employee stock plan). Since building the McMansion, we've been using the bonus money on landscaping, furniture and to cover the increasing prices of the BIG 3. 

And everyone who knows me, knows I'm not a big fan of "stuff." But MacTroll LOVES his stuff. He likes not having to think before he buys. He likes eating out when he feels hungry. 

But to me, we're done with all the big household items. In fact, I think X-man's bed represents the last of the furniture we really need in our house for a while. And, um, all my baby bushes need time and sunshine to grow into bigger ones. So... as long as I keep my ass out of Target, I should be okay.

Not only that, but if you're ever driving up and down Neil Street in the Savoy area, you'll probably see me walking. I'm the overweight woman chucking down Neil Street to get to Curves twice a week. I may even venture further and go to WW on foot. Sometimes I'm walking from my house to X-man's pre-school with my big red jogging stroller. If you see me, feel free to honk and cheer me on. I'm not giving up my Weight Watchers money or my gym  money. But I am thinking of saving up for a used bike and kids bike trailer and parking my VW for all trips that are within a 5-mile radius. 

Luckily our playgroup mostly goes to places that are free. :-P




5 comments:

Misc said...

We have an old bike trailer in our garage that you are welcome to, if you want it. I never figured out how to put it on my bike and there's no way I'm lugging around a 7 and 5 year old, they can ride their own damn bikes. :-)

Just let me know if you want it (I have no idea how old it is but Frank's cousin gave it to us when their kids outgrew it).

makeup_girl said...

I wish I lived within biking distance from most things. To save on gas, I try to do all my driving for errands at once. I don't like to make more than one trip to C-U a day.

Isn't it horrible how much money it costs to eat healthy?

SunnyD said...

Misc,
I would love to take your bike trailer off your hands. How much would you like for it? I could come pick it up next week.

Makeup_girl,
I totally understand your desire to limit trips! I don't even want to know what your spouse pays in gas on his truck!

makeup_girl said...

Luckily, he has a company gas card. Somedays, depending on where he has to go, he'll fill up 2-3 times! Can you imagine? It's a 26-gallon tank! He said he gets 10 mpg on the highway!

The Fearless Freak said...

I'm pretty glad that we go to free. Now, if more places were on bus routes (seriously MTD NEEDS to run to FCC), that would be even better.

I'm with Mactroll. I dearly love to eat out but it is pretty much out of the question.