Saturday, July 26, 2008

Here comes the rain

Yeah, so I started to nap, but then the snack dude came in to check and see if I had consumed their canister of $9 Pringles (I hadn't.). And of course, I was half asleep, completely naked when he knocked. Figuring that it was some other room and given the level of deep sleep I'm capable of, I just kept on sleeping. 

I'm not sure if he saw me or not. There's this cut out in the wall in the bathroom, so you can see the area where the closet and the door are. I just kept my eyes shut, let him do what he needed to do, and then when he was gone, I put my "not now -- much later" sign on the door, deadbolted it and did that top lock chain thing and crawled back into bed. 

It's thundering out now, which means if I can get my groove back I can go back to sleep. But first I wanted to comment on a depressing e-mail I received. I was not depressed that the sender sent it, but the content made both the sender and I sad because it sounded like something that would go from fifth grader to fifth grader. Jenny said that John told her that Abby thinks... 

So, excuse me while I get my soap box out and stand on it to deliver a life opinion.

Here's the deal. Everyone has friends and family that they talk to about varying personal things. Disclosure and trust and open communication with no judgment is amazing. You should give yourself a pat on the back if you're strong enough to do it consistently. You have a strong sense of character and I applaud you from my soapbox. 

My rule is that I don't say anything I wouldn't say to a person's face, if given the chance (i.e. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about how I feel). 

But when you find that you have to talk AROUND a person about something (i.e. husband, friend, brother, sister, mailman, bookseller) -- that's just annoying.  Because the reason you're talking around the actual person who may or may not have a problem with you is because you think the more people that are on your "side" will make you feel better about that one person feeling a certain way. 

The truth is that a posse will not make you feel better at your core. The truth is you should just talk about it openly, and if that person subscribes to the Dana rule mentioned above, you'll get it out and over with. It's impossible to have a relationship with someone and not have times when you disagree or have issues. Every marriage, family, friend-based relationship is going to have friction. 

If you only hang with people who are just like you and agree with everything you say... how in the hell are you going to grow as a person and experience new things.

Okay, I'm off my soap box. 


2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Dude . . . I'm so totally confused.

That said, I agree with the "Dana rule" because a) it's the only way to have meaningful relationships in life and b) I don't have the time/energy for anything other than meaningful relationships.

Hmm maybe that's why I'm posse-less.

Anyway, just dropping you a line to say that I'm totally envious of you that you're lying naked in a hotel room sleeping while it thunders outside. That sounds like heaven. But I probably would have eaten the damn $9 pringles just to add to the delicacy of it all.

SunnyD said...

Don't be confused. I promise the soap box lecture was not written for anyone in the C-U area. :-)

And there I laid, in my bed: wet, naked, eating pringles and drinking Canada Dry Ginger Ale until my eyes closed and I fell into a deep, deep sleep.