Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How you'll know that I love you

When needed, I will put on a rubber glove, cover your anus in petroleum jelly, insert a finger and gently express both of your anal glands until all this foul-smelling liquid secretion comes out into a paper towel.

And I'll do it every two weeks from the time you're 1 year old until you die to keep your glands from getting impacted and to make you more comfortable.

You don't enjoy it. I don't enjoy it. But it's gotta be done -- and we both seem to know that.

Don't we, Riley?

5 comments:

makeup_girl said...

OMG! Looseyfur! First I laughed out loud, then I thought, "Am I gonna have to do that with Spike?" Am I?

SunnyD said...

I've had two female dogs and haven't had to do it with either. But it seems to be more likely, in my experience, to happen for male dogs. My friend Debbie used to just take her dog to the vet to do it every two weeks to 1 month.

But you really only have to do it if it's a problem. And I don't think it is in most dogs. That said, if you ever see Spike excessively licking her butt and then smell something putrid... it's time to get them checked out and see if it's a one time thing or if you'll end up doing it often.

My parents have always had large male dogs and they've never had a problem.

makeup_girl said...

A mom's work is never done, huh?

Quigs78 said...

OMG. I am so having flashbacks of working at the vet. We would all fight over who would take the anal gland appointments. That smell stays in your nose ALL DAY. And it almost always sprayed on my scrubs.

Like napalm in your nostril.

Lavender Lemonade said...

Wow, that is dedication to your pet. Way to go, Dana.