Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Warm Breakfast

X-man loves breakfast. He has always loved pancakes and Morning Star veggie sausage. He loves yogurt with granola (or without), Cheerios with bananas or berries, fruit salad, mini omelettes, waffles, bacon and all the other good stuff.

We also used to take him to Le Peep a lot. The wait staff has watched him grow up from a tiny infant into a strapping toddler. We have a rule that on Saturdays and Sundays we have to be at Le Peep by 8:30 or there's no point in going. If you get there by 8:30 a.m., you have little to no wait time. It's before the 9 a.m. rush starts. And X-man can't and won't wait for a table for breakfast. Lunch, not a problem, he's good for 10-15 minutes. At dinner, you can even stretch it to 20-25 minutes... but at breakfast he wants his food and he wants it now. 

Since we're on our weekly budget, we have been eating out less (hooray). But last weekend I used up the last 1 person serving of whole wheat pancake mix and Belgian waffle mix (Mactroll prefers these to the pancakes). And I didn't replace them in this week's grocery trip, so I'll have to put them on the list for next week (with Newman's Light Balsamic Vinegar Dressing MacTroll reminds me). It also takes forever for X-man to eat sometimes. I once watched him take an hour to eat a grilled cheese sandwich in a restaurant. 

Back in January, X-man spent five days with his Aunt Karen and Uncle Mike and their three kids and three cats. Aunt Karen is an awesome cook and an incredible baker. She enjoys cooking and food. She is also a great mom role model. 

She started making something called "egg in a hole" for X-man. And he loves it. You butter a piece of bread, cut a hole in the middle of it with a cookie cutter and then put the bread and the leftover bread shape from the cookie cutter in a pan hot enough to fry an egg. Then you crack the egg in the hole and let it cook. Really easy. When we started making it for X-man, we gave him a hard yolk. Now he prefers over easy, so he can dip his little bread shape into it... and then dip his veggie sausage.

So, here's what I served X-man for breakfast this a.m. It made me feel a bit better about getting him excited to pick blueberries at Pontious Farm today, only to have to cancel due to the ugly weather in the forecast. Ahh, well. The library and his aunt Terry are awesome back-up plans. It also means I get $10 back into my weekly budget. Mmmm.... 



4 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! Look at that fancy schmancy meal. Looks delish!

Sorry you guys couldn't go blueberry picking today hopefully you can make it sometime this season.

makeup_girl said...

Will you come over and make breakfast for us? What a good mom you are - serving such a healthy/wholesome and delicious meal!

~rachel~ said...

That is so cute, I'll have to make that for Rowan (and when I say "I" I mean I'll have Mike make it since he does most of the cooking!). Rowan loves breakfast too, actually we all do and eat "breakfast food" for all meals. I also love the label for shameless product placement!! :)

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

I'm going to try the egg on a hole this week! We normally do scrambled eggs, I've never given her a fried egg. Now I'm on a mission!

This might beat the Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes!