Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Summer lovin' had me a blast"

Summers are always so busy and full. The great part is that they're full of fun stuff. This week already we've played at Eisner, Victory and Prairie Fields Parks. We went to see Zydeco music. We went to a birthday party. We went for a walk in Busey Woods and played at the Nature Center. We swam in the pool in the backyard and put X-man in the hot tub for the first time (while running down the rules with him and having him repeat them back to us, which we'll be doing from now until he's 18, I'm sure.). 

Tomorrow is our first day all week we won't be meeting up with friends after pre-school. Instead, I think we're going to head down to the Tolono Library to finally turn in our summer reading card. We started on day one, but due to our busy social schedule haven't had time to run down and check out books to add to our list (the requirement for the TL is that the books he gets credit for have to be checked out from TL -- not any library -- just TL). 

X-man has also become a shrewd negotiator at bedtime. :-) The rule is that after we take a bath and brush our teeth we can watch a show in Mama and Dada's room. But the show has to be one that Mama and Dada want to watch (i.e. no Bob the Builder). 

On Tuesday, X-man pointed to my laptop and said, "Bob!" 

I said I didn't want to watch Bob. He quietly thought about his options for a few minutes and then said, "Doctor! Doctor Who!"

And, I lit up like a Christmas Tree. 

X-man, like his parents, seems to already share an interest in science fiction and fantasy. He loves Doctor Who, Harold and the Purple Crayon (the books and the TV series) and the book Mars Needs Moms. He was a fan of Wall-E instantly too. He thinks rockets are cool. I'm wondering if I started him on the early years of Star Trek: Next Generation if he'd turn instant Trekkie or hold out until the big exposure to Star Wars (or eeghads Buffy!).

Either way, that stuff will have to wait until the winter. As it is, we don't really have time for too much TV. We're too busy running around outside. 

It's supposed to be 91 degrees tomorrow. So after the couple of appointments I have, I'll be out with my paint can trying to finish the east side of the fence. Then I plan on mowing the weeds in the empty lot behind us and then trimming along the south side of the fence... just in time for scattered storms on Saturday. 

I should, however, have a killer tan (i.e. sunburn) if we reach 91 degrees and sunny tomorrow.

Tonight, I got to watch my son fall asleep in my arms. He likes to look out the window as he drifts off (another something special he shares with his Mom and with Harold). He sniffs his blanket and once or twice throws his arms out like he's doing the infant falling instinct. 

Today we visited Slumberland and purchased his mattress. We're waiting for one more piece to his full bed, and then he'll be in big boy land -- except for the potty training. That's a whole challenge for 2009. :-P 

Until then, we're going to keep having fun. 



Update: 11:15 p.m. Um, WTF, there's this HUGE wind at my house right now. Like storm wind, but there's nothing on the forecast -- but it is on the radar. But here comes the rain and what sounds like tiny pieces of hail. Maybe no painting tomorrow afterall!

4 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Adorable - this is the good stuff, Loosey.

Misc said...

New Dr. Who or the old one? Evan digs the old Tom Baker episodes (my personal favorites). (and now I have the theme song running through my head)

Both of my kids would like TNG, I think - they've seen reruns of the original series and enjoyed them. Evan's been a Star Wars geek from birth (remind me to tell you about the Darth Vader bank someday).

SunnyD said...

Ooh, more people to invite to some kind of Star Wars dress up movie night down the line!

I've already got RF, Mr. Quigs and Libbyboy on my list.

MacTroll loves Tom Baker too. I have to admit my love is only as deep as my affection for David Tennant.

I like his charisma and "no second chances" bad ass attitude when things get rough.

Anonymous said...

YOU look great, my friend, and Xander looks like he enjoys the warm water as much as the cool!!