Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ssssshhhh, the Baby's Sleeping

X-man helped me put together parts of his new bed tonight (remind me to budget a workshop for the kid -- maybe for Christmas). We're still waiting on a replacement railing for the bed frame, but I had three under-the-bed drawers to do, and X-man helped put together one. As soon as I unwrapped his mattress from the plastic and he saw the stars on the mattress, he got really excited. 

I announced it was time to go to bed, and he jumped on the mattress on the floor and said, "Sleep here, Mama, sleep here!" 

I ran downstairs and got his new sheets straight out of the box (I'll wash them tomorrow). As soon as he saw the blue and red trains he shouted, "Woo woo!" I put the fitted sheet on and he laid down in the middle of the full-sized bed. Then I took out the flat sheet and he looked curious. He HATED the sheet on his toddler bed and on our bed. But I guess because this one had trains, it passed muster. Then I introduced him to pillows and pillowcases.

And tonight, instead of watching Doctor Who, we read a Charlie and Lola book and a Thomas book, turned off the globe night light (too bright, apparently) and curled up in his bed. It was like old times. :-)

I tried to put him to bed like I used to by just kissing him and saying night night and leaving he room. But he's been kind of needy for the last six weeks (two steps toward big boydom, one step back), and he wanted company.

He thrashed around for a good hour, and finally at 10:30 p.m., he pulled the train sheet up to his chin and fell asleep. I gave him five minutes and slipped out of the room.

We'll see if he stays there or comes in here, if he wakes in the middle of the night. Ideally, I'll be awake enough to take him back to his bed if he does wake up. But the last few days whenever I've been sleeping it's been like pulling me out of death to get up. In fact, his mattress is pretty nice (it was above average out of all the ones Slumberland had, in my opinion), so a couple times tonight I was afraid, I'd fall asleep in his bed.

So tonight, I have a Nyssa cat and a Riley dog, and just me in my bed. 

I've missed not being rolled on while I sleep over the last six weeks. And I don't expect instant success, but right now, at this moment. It's pretty nice. 

Update: It's 7:11 a.m. and X-man is still sleeping in his own bed. 

2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Yay!!

I'm crossing my fingers that the new comfy big boy bed is the ticket!

But, if not, at least it's a brand new mattress that you can take advantage of, too! :)

Anonymous said...

OK, the pic of him zonked out in the train sheets is priceless.