Saturday, August 2, 2008

Home again!

We're back in Savoy where the weather is hot, hot, hot. Apparently there were torrential rainfalls while we were gone because we had 6 toads waiting for us in the emergency exit windowsill from the basement. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, it'll get covered at some point. Probably next spring.)

Anyway, Quigs took awesome care of my furry babies. The old gray cat seemed to have hit the litterbox every time in her quarantine in the bathroom. So we're going to hope that her increase in Tapazole (the drug that helps her with her hyperthyroid) has corrected the fact that she seems to have a place in the basement where she pees. (We know it's her because I'm a professional pee smeller, and I had to be right on top of it to notice it right before I left to go to my Mom's. This means that the cat peeing there has really diluted urine. And the old gray cat is on daily IV fluids for her kidneys.) Since we take the black and whites into the vet on Monday, we'll talk to Doctor Mary about the old gray's issues then too.

X-man entered our house completely excited about playing with all of is toys. He was in the family room, in the basement, in his room. He even requested his Goldfish crackers as a snack to be put in his Nemo bowl (that was a new one for me).

I had come back from Montreal to a house that was less stellar than the way I left it. It's not a surprise, but I ended up spending the 3 hours I had before I left on Tuesday morning cleaning it up rather than at the Organic Garden weeding the CARE plot. And therefore, we got the nasty e-mail threatening to mow our plot under, if our weed situation isn't taken care of in 10 days. When I asked the group about the plot last March, I had 4-8 parents who were willing to come out. I try to make meet ups every week, when my schedule allows. But it hasn't fit in on anyone's summer plans to go out and help out even at non-meet up times. 

Mostly because it's a miserable experience for young children. They don't want to weed or help. They climb the trees and run through the sprinkler we put out. But it's turned out to be a crappy activity. Oh well, live and learn, right?

And I think the regulars who do go out there, do it more because they don't want me to lose my $30 deposit (and because they like me and we can gab while we bitch about how not worth it the plot is). It's nice to know that I'm loved, cause it's a whole lot of work.

Now we're home and X-man and I took a shower since it's too hot to go out and play in the kiddie pool. He was so happy playing in the water, he stayed in and took a shower with MacTroll. Now the family is clean and ready to watch Bob the Builder.

Either way, it's great to be back home.

4 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

I pretty much hate gardening and I really only do it as a chance to see you guys. Now with Libbygirl out of commision, it is going to be you, me and Quigs doing the majority of it.

Other than that, welcome home. You have been missed :)

Quigs78 said...

I'm going to take Luke the Zuke home and eat him.

Because I deserve it.

Lavender Lemonade said...

Welcome Home! It sounds like your mom got more than she bargined for, but is on the mend. Thank goodness she has such wonderful helpful daughters. :)

I must confess, I feel terrible that I really dropped the ball on helping with the CARE garden. I really had the best of intentions, but life just got away from me.

You and the other fellow, faithful gardeners have given lots of dedication. Thank you for that.

Do you think the garden gate/door would still be helpful or is it too late at this point?

libbygirl said...

I have to make a confession to make. We picked a couple of red tomatoes from the garden last week when we went to water it. I figured that I had at least earned that much :) Sorry I won't be of much help but people are welcome to come by for popsicles or water afterwards, since they will be over on our side of of the world.