Monday, August 24, 2009

Free Your Mind... and the Rest Will Follow

Yeah, that's right, I quoted En Vogue. 

X-man's cast came off at 9 a.m. The x-ray clearly showed that new bone has completely taken over the fractures. They removed the cast and X-man freaked out. 

It's got to feel strange to have had a heavy weight on your leg and not be able to bend your leg for 4.5 weeks. But last night he was excited about being able to run and jump and play at school today. This morning he woke up full of anxiety. He was afraid it wouldn't be fixed. He was afraid he'd need another cast. Then when the doctor said he was ready to start walking again, X-man told the doctor he was wrong, told him it was still broken and that he needed to fix it because the bone still needed to grow. He knew -- because he'd read it in a book from the library.

He demanded to be carried. If you put him down he stands on one leg crying and then sits down. We have it wrapped in an ace bandage because the skin around his ankle is angry, and we have to keep him from scratching it. 

I thought he'd be a bit slow on it, kind of like when it took him 3 days to figure out that he could walk in the walking cast. But he doesn't even want to try. I took him to the park, where he pushed himself around on his butt for a bit -- like he did when he had his blue cast on.

Then he said he wanted to see his friends, so I took him to school. Once he walked in the door, he started asking to go home. "I'm not ready yet." 

So, he's at home with me today. He's been in "Little Bear" heaven while I try to get some housework done for dinner guests on Wednesday. He's sitting in front of his lunch dish right now. Afterwards, he's going upstairs to take a 20-minute bath. I had dreams of just having him soak in one for a couple hours, but apparently letting the toes wrinkle is a bad idea and will completely freak out the skin. So, 20-minute limit for the next 7-10 days. Still, it's a bath that's not given with a sponge and with him protesting leaning back so I can rinse his hair at the kitchen sink.

I told him he has to go back to school tomorrow -- because I have to go back to school tomorrow. 

On the plus side, we're out of diapers/pull ups for the 2nd time this summer... let's hope he's still 98 percent potty trained -- you know -- outside of those times when he's pissed off at me and pees on the floor just to push my buttons and drive me crazy.

1 comment:

Rudy said...

I think its pretty normal. Big K had lots of issues once the cast came off. His tendon was tight and it felt strange and the thought ti would hurt. He walked on his tip toes for ages. But it does and it will work itself out eventually. I remember first walking after I had knee surgery. I was very scared and I was 17 so I can completely see where he is coming from. Hang in there!