Sunday, August 16, 2009

Stranded at the airport. Branded a fool. What will they say Monday at school?

Yup, I've been at YUL now for ooooh, 6 hours. The standby flight they tried to put me on got SENT BACK to Canada due to a shut down at ORD due to weather.

Now my 4:20 flight isn't scheduled to board for another 30 minutes and they completely canceled the 6:30 p.m. flight. So, I'm thinking the $9.95 I paid for internet access came in pretty handy because I HATE airport books. 

The line for people who want their bags because they're spending the night in Montreal has grown. If given the choice I think I'd rather stay in Chicago. I have people there. :-) But if worse comes to worse, my friend Mitra won't mind if I crash with her. I, unfortunately, missed her this trip since she was off in a chalet with her boys. 

But mostly, I've had to move away from the panicking gate lice. You can tell the non-travelers from the travelers. The travelers are quietly reading their books comfortable with the lack of control and timeliness. I mean, what can they do about severe weather? The gate lice are being uptight and bitchy. What's the nice French speaking English lady supposed to do? She's not Superwoman.

Me, I'm sitting on the floor with my laptop plugged into the wall. My one giant complaint about this airport has always been that they built these awesomely comfortable sitting areas with no adequately placed electrical outlets...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the gate lice well, from when my dad worked for Northwest! I'll never forget the time someone grabbed him by his tie because his flight was cancelled -- my dad, always calm as a cucumber, promptly retrieved his scissors and cut his tie off :c) Funniest story EVER!

-Lauren

The Fearless Freak said...

Although we do a LOT of traveling, this is one of the reasons I don't like to fly (besides the all encompassing motion sickness). I couldn't tolerate giving up all that control. So it is pouring rain in Chicago? I could still get part way there in the car and if I didn't have the kids with me, I could probably manage the whole trip in one day.

Glad you finally made it home, even if it was outrageously late. :)