Monday, August 17, 2009

Ships by night -- passing

So, anyone within 100 miles of O'Hare airport knows that the storm yesterday really jacked the place up. I was stuck in Montreal for an extra 3 hours waiting for weather and traffic to clear for my plane to take off. They canceled the flight after me completely. 

When I arrived in O'Hare, I thought, at least I'll have options. LOL. OMG. I was met with a sea of confused activity like I have never seen outside those movies where the aliens have come to kill earthlings or a giant meteor is crashing toward the planet and giant tidal waves are knocking over NYC.

There's simply nothing you can do when the weather goes bad. Alas, the 6:25 p.m. flight to Champaign had not taken off on time, but my 7:20 p.m. one did. And the 8:55 p.m. one was left... but by the time I got there there were 17 people each on the standby list for both flights that only hold 40 people total.

At 10:15 p.m., I made my way down to the LEX terminal. MacTroll had purchased me the bus ticket online, and holy cow, am I glad I decided not to stay at a hotel because the first flight anyone could get booked back to Champaign today started at --- 8 p.m. Plus, the cab line and the congestion of friends and family members trying to get to the airport to pick up stranded folks was a couple miles long. As it was the big LEX bus was completely full. And I wondered, when we pulled into the Illinois Terminal, who in the hell is picking all these college kids up at 2 a.m. on a Monday morning. 

Yeah, so as it works out... it takes 15 hours to drive from Montreal to Champaign. Yesterday, it took American Airlines and LEX 14.5 hours to get me home... and I still ended up footing the $63 bus ticket because when delays are due to weather NOTHING is paid for. Because it's not anyone's fault. 

Still, I got home and KTDID, MacTroll and I had some random silly 15-minute conversation before we headed to bed. At 5:45 a.m., MacTroll got up, packed KTDID's suitcase (we'll see if mine finds its way back to me today) and took it with him on his 3-city tour of D.C., N.Y. and Minneapolis. 

And since X-man woke up at 6 a.m. -- I'm going to deposit him at school at 8:30 a.m. and sleep like crazy today... my brain tried momentarily to explain the 2 half empty bags of Tostitos, the full bag of blue corn chips I bought before I left, another new bag of blue corn chips and two full bags of Tostitos in the pantry. I so totally gave up on that.

1 comment:

Quigs78 said...

I'm glad you're home! Have a super fab day recuperating and resting!