Friday, March 20, 2009

Mmmm, the claws come out

MacTroll picked up X-man from school yesterday. He was visiting the Tigers. Today is his last day as a Turtle. I've tried to explain that to him, but he's in denial. 

Anyway, the Tigers were all lined up to go outside when MacTroll went to get him. A few Tiger girls were standing near X-man in line. And one of them told MacTroll that they were not at all fond of X-man being in their class. MacTroll tried to explain that it was hard to make new friends, but it wasn't going anywhere with the 3 year olds. They know what they know -- which is undoubtably more than an adult.

X-man, like most kids, has the ability to be egocentric. When he feels like he's being over controlled he tries to be dominant, which no one takes well. He has a hard time sharing, and in comparison to a fluent near 4 year old, his language skills seem pretty primitive. He's male. He points and grunts a bit. Plus, although he's said he's had fun with the Tigers. He's made it very clear that he's upset about leaving the Turtles.

For example, he noticed another boy's name added to his chair the other day and wanted Ms. Krissi to take it off. He was in a panic about it. It was his chair, after all. And he had no intention of leaving it. 

I know that it's going to be a hard couple of weeks for  him. And I know that not all kids will be best friends. I guess it's one more thing I have no control over for him, and that makes me sad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there - X-Man will be fine in no time and if he has tough days, maybe you could ask if he could spend time with B&C periodically to help with the transition? They love him and if the fact that they are next door can help at all, I say use it! I have had several similar situations where kids were not being nice either to my guys or others. That is so hard. But I guess that is part of the deal. Sucks though. Hey, if it makes you feel better, B swore in class yesterday. Am I totally bad mommy that I have been chuckling about it all day? Feel bette.

SunnyD said...

Oooh, which bomb did B drop? X-man has recently gotten into the shut up phase. I thought he got it from a bunch a kids that were using it on the playground two weeks ago... but um, then I used it with Riley the other day and went. "Crap."

So I'm guessing it's about 72 hours before that starts coming out of his mouth too.

Quigs78 said...

We're working on getting "crap" out of our vocab, too. Oops.

But change is hard for everyone, adults and 3 year olds alike. I hope he gets settled and happy very soon!

Katherine said...

He was taken to Ms. Lori's room because he needed to "re-set" and when she brought him back to the Panthers, no one was there. Apparently they had gone outside. B was greatly disappointed at seeing the room empty and exclaimed, "Oh, Dammit, where did they all go?" I thought it was actually a good example of using his new vocabulary well in a sentence! I guess he said it quite casually like this is just how we talk. Oops!

Lavender Lemonade said...

What little twerps to tell a kid's daddy that they don't like his kid! Forget about saying dammit, shut up or stupid (a banned word in our house this is used more because I banned it than any other 'bad' word) where are THOSE kids' parents.

Its hard for kids to "roll with the punches" because they don't understand that really this isn't a 'punch' at all...its the way life is. Hang in there, X-man. You'll find a friend in the Tiger Room, after all you were a white tiger for halloween. :)