Monday, March 30, 2009

A Regular Monday

So, now that I'm free from the chains of disease, I'm getting back to the whirlwind that is my life. I'm rescheduling things that I had to cancel. I'm catching up on homework. I'm back to being the sole provider of everything to X-man for 99 percent of the work week this week, and it felt good. But I have to admit I'm slowly re-entering the housework area, and I'm focusing on the fun stuff, particularly X-man.

X-man is in love with the Tiger room. He loves being a big boy a lot, but he has some anxiety about the potty these days. We seem to have a great 2-3 weeks, then a big regression, and then another great 2-3 weeks. I'm not angry or frustrated, because I'm not the person on that mission. That's his last step out of babydom. All I can do is ask and support and jump up and down like we've won the lottery when he does it, so he knows it's a big achievement. He's not a bribery kid. No matter how much easier that track seems to be -- he's not falling for it. 

Today, when I picked him up from school, he was sitting on the floor in front of the bathroom. He'd just had a bowel movement in his pull up and gotten cleaned up. He was in the process of pulling on his new Pull Up and putting on his own pants. I waited outside the door and let him do it himself before going in knowing that had I walked in, he would have been desperate for help, when I know he can do it himself.

After school we met Curious J and Rogers at the park for our usual Monday at 4 p.m. playdate. The boys were very happy to see each other. So much so that they kind of ran around each other all giddy asking us where the other one was. Curious J gave X-man a hug at around minute 45 of the playdate. And X-man declared the play area with the telescope his home -- and he slept in one of the tunnels. Have I mentioned that he's all about the pretend play?

One of the things I love about my son is that lately he's bursts out a song whenever it occurs to him. So today, in his pretend house, he picked up a guitar and played a few riffs of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" while he sang along. He was running from the ladder to a medium-sized side singing "Fruit Salad" by the Wiggles. And yesterday, he was over the moon about "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on repeat. He gets so happy -- he sings.

I'm in the middle of planning two vacations that are almost back to back. We're planning on heading out to see our fave east coast relatives for Memorial Day weekend. Just a bit of a jaunt. Then on June 7th, we're planning on heading out west. MacTroll has to speak at Apple's WWDC conference or at least be a "directly responsible individual" for some sessions. So, X-man and I get five days in San Francisco by ourselves, before we head down to Morro Bay to see my friend Robin and then down to L.A. to visit KTDID and hit the Disneyland area.

I suspect the Pixar Parade and rides at the California Adventure Theme Park will make X-man pretty out-of-this-world happy. We'll have to see if he's got the guts to meet Buzz Lightyear in person. He's a little overwrought about characters. I was the same as a kid. I completely understand his anxiety.


2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Yay for feeling more like Loosey!

I'm so excited about your vacations! I'm going to live vicariously through you. (Especially the Pixar part - so jealous.)

And Bubba is singing all the time, too. Always Cars songs, shockingly enough. We were going shopping (for some Cars) yesterday with some bday money, and he was singing "Life Is A Highway" the. whole. time. It brings on the LOLs.

ktdid said...

I'm soooooo excited about CA adventure with Xman, you, and MacTroll! It took me awhile to get into feeling like a kid there, as you know, and now I'm excited to be a kid around my favorite kid :) To see CA through his eyes will be a great adventure.
And thanks for saying I'm from LA. I don't claim the OC ;)