Saturday, March 28, 2009

Winter's Last Licks

I grew up in Rockford, Illinois, where I can remember having a snow day in 8th grade on April 26th and it being 85 degrees on May 2nd. I played too many soccer games in my youth dressed from head to toe, as I stood in the goal freezing my ass off and jumping up and down to stay warm, while flakes fell from the sky only to melt on the hard, dirt ground.

I'm used to thinking of winter as lasting November through April. I expect it.

But for some reason this year, I've been yearning for spring. Maybe it was my brief weekend in Arizona that made me start wishing for it. Maybe I'm just getting stir crazy inside my house after 12 days of being ill. But whatever it is, I'm watching the approaching snowstorm with a furrowed brow. 


I have tulips 5" out of the ground. I was ready to go to Prairie Gardens this weekend for some soil and compost. I wanted to open the windows and never worry about turning on the heat again. 

I'm being whiny. I know it. But I was sick through all the nice weather, and now that I feel like I'm finally pulling through -- I feel cheated because I had a fever through my whole spring break.

I guess I should remember that I only have 7 more weeks until the semester is done. 

5 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

I know what you mean. I think that the super late spring last year combined with a colder than normal (not normal normal, but colder than the last few years) winter has a lot of people really longing for spring.

I'm totally unimpressed by the coming snow :(

Amy said...

So not ready to get back into cold weather mode again. I had to break out the winter coats again today for the kids. I thought we were past that. Plus, I too, was sick during those nice days in middle March. I'm so mad that I didn't get to enjoy them more. I'll be really mad if it goes from snowing to 85 and humid. I prefer the sunny, no humidity 70-75 degree range. Is that too much to ask? =)

SunnyD said...

Tonight during the hail, X-man wanted to wear his roller skates. So he had them on and was begging to go outside. "Please Mommy, make it sunny!"

At that very moment, crash, boom, flash. Lightning, thunder, downpour. I had to open the front door for him and tell him I didn't control the weather.

Sigh, just another example that Mom doesn't have superpowers.

The Fearless Freak said...

You should have a chat with Libbygirl. She, apparently, does control the weather, as evidenced by the fact that she willed it to be sunny and warm-ish for her park playdate yesterday. :)

Mar said...

Oh, I was so angry about the snow as well! Although, I must say it was quite beautiful to see those big fluffy flakes falling on the blossoming trees and flowers. Hope you are feeling much better! I'm getting over a similar illness as well, so I feel your pain!