Friday, March 13, 2009

Oh, TV, I do not understand you.

In 2004, I canceled my cable immediately after the WB show Angel went off the air. It was the only thing that MacTroll and I watched, so there wasn't any reason to keep it on. 

Then a couple years later, iTunes started carrying TV shows. I started watching two shows. One that had been canceled, Firefly. And another which was still in production, Grey's Anatomy.

I loved them both, for obviously different reasons. But I purchased the seasons (Firefly only lasted 1, but Grey's Anatomy was about to start it's 3rd season when I started watching) and watched them and rewatched them.

Then the networks finally started letting you view shows online for free with a few commercials. 

So, for the free price I decided to give Ugly Betty and Bones a try. Then later Private Practice. And truth be told, now I can't stand any of these shows. I keep trying week after week. But this week was the first time I turned off Bones. I also turned off Ugly Betty. Grey's was annoyingly stupid, as it has been ever since Meredith almost drowned. Even How I Met Your Mother appears to be lacking big time this season, and it was one of my solid funny shows.

In a time when Champaign is talking about hiking the sales tax from 3 to 5% on cable subscribers, I have to wonder how many other people will be turning off their TVs. They already can't afford to vacation anywhere that's not a day trip. I guess it's a good thing that spring is upon us, so we can all get out and play rather than feeling trapped by the wicked weather.

But still, there's a recession going on... you can't tell me that L.A. isn't flooded with out-of-work writers who could write these shows back into the hearts of their former fans. Cause right now, the writing's not worth paying for the electricity of powering up my tiny laptop.

3 comments:

Quigs78 said...

LOL I wish I could say that I was one of those people that would be turning off their TVs, but um, uh, sorry. That and the interwebs are what keep me sane. :)

Anonymous said...

I just happened to be watching TV when the new Bones episodes started playing. I've been watching more with O traveling more. Most of the time, though, I'm watching TV AND doing something on my computer. Have the noise is good sometimes. We probably won't get cable when we move. There will be plenty to do out and about.

The Fearless Freak said...

I keep thinking that we could just ditch the TV. Keep the net, get a few DVDs for the kids and be done with it. Then I realize that I would be really bored without my trashy TV and I don't want to give it up. Even when it sucks :)