Sunday, March 1, 2009

Whose mother are you?

That's my boy there: Grabby Crabby McGee. He doesn't take no for an answer.

Some kind of parasite has leeched onto my child. He's in my face all the time, pulling on my arm, jumping up and down. We play a game for 20 minutes. He wants to play more, but Mommy's had enough. So she says, "No, thank you." 

He immediately tries to drag me to some other part of the house to do a game that is way more developmentally appropriate with someone his age (like driving his sit on cars in a race around the house). Even with lengthy play dates, he won't back down. Sometimes, he doesn't engage with the kids and still only wants me to play. I feel like we're saying no to him a lot, but that's more because he's asking every 2 seconds.

"Race cars, Mommy."
"I can't right now, sweetie. I have to run the dishwasher, but when I'm done we can play with cars on the little people garage."
"No, Mommy! Want to race cars around! Come on, Mommy, come on!" (small child pulls my arm, my shirt, my hand).
"After I'm done with the dishes--"
He closes the dishwasher.
"Come on, Mommy!"
"X-man, I hear that you want to play with Mommy.'
"Yes!"
"Mommy wants to play with you, but I can't play until my chores are done. So after the dishes are put in the dishwasher, I can come play, okay?"
"No Mommy! Now!"
"No, X-man. Go in the other room and color..."

And what should have been a 4-minute chore turns to 20 with all the begging and pleading. 

See what I'm talking about... sigh.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Man, it is so tough at this age.

In a way it is nice for WW to have her brother. They're both used to me telling them to go play that they don't ask me too often. That sounds really sad. But I swear I don't neglect my children. =)

Quigs78 said...

I'm with Harley. My kids would much rather play with each other than with me.

You can borrow one of mine if you want. I'll just drop him off. :P

Laura Wells said...

People have always told me it's the opposite, but whenever I spend quality time with my kids, they want more..apparently the desire is endless.

The Fearless Freak said...

Seriously, I think there is something in the air because MT is the SAME FREAKING WAY! Always with the jumping and facing and begging and driving my crazy.

I CAN NOT wait for spring when I tell them to get the hell out of the house! Of course, I will have to leave the house with them but as least they'll be able to run around in the yard and entertain themselves better.