Friday, March 20, 2009

Troubles of a Transient Town

Years and years ago, the way I understand it, people finished their education at whatever level they saw fit and started their working lives. A lot of them got hired in factories or companies or hospitals or universities, where they often worked 20-40 years. 

When retirement came there was usually some kind of party, a discussion about their pension and any benefits and some token of appreciation was handed out. 

No one does this any more. Everyone moves, moves and moves. And someone in my age bracket is likely to have 7 careers in her lifetime. I'm just about to start number 2... 

The University of Illinois tends to see a large number of people come into the town for educational purposes, only to watch them leave 3-5 years down the road after graduate or when they don't get tenure, or their research project ends or money runs out. 

Since we don't live in a big city, there's nothing else to absorb that workforce. When I was in D.C. there were several high quality universities between Baltimore and D.C. So, if you got your PhD at the University of Maryland it was not unusual to get a teaching position at American or George Mason or Towson or Howard. Or there were plenty of scienced-based organizations or companies, several thousands of non-profits or government entities to choose from in the non-university route.

But here, in sleepy Champaign. That diversity of employment does not exist. So people move forth -- to prosperity. 

The loss is never easy. I don't take losing friends well, and although I know it's a necessity, I wish things could be more -- permanent. 

Because when I imagine my kid growing up and always knowing your kid for a couple years and then realize if/when you move away they'll probably never remember each other, I get sad. I mourn. Because let's face it -- you don't meet that many quality people in this lifetime. And whatever magic Central Illinois has that puts them all here at some point or another is really pretty amazing. 

1 comment:

Laura Wells said...

I used to be the family that lived for a short time in the University town. I bristled when people didn't want to become friends because we would move away. But I get it. I know your sadness.