Monday, September 29, 2008

Beholden to Money

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I held a full-time job. I worked 10-12 hour days. I dressed in pantyhose and Jones New York suits. I took mass transit to work for as long as I could. I had bosses that I both adored and got annoyed with. All of my friends were my co-workers. We spent more time together than we ever did with our spouses. We enjoyed our work, but at the end of the day we were there not just for job satisfaction, we were there for money and benefits.

Since moving to Illinois I have had several part-time jobs. The ones that fit my life best are the ones that are not only part-time but are also temporary. I worked for a year at the Douglass Branch Library when someone got sent to Iraq with the military. I filled in for a summer doing fundraising work at A Woman's Fund while they did a search for a full-time fundraising person. I taught for 2 years at Millikin in Decatur while a professor did research for her Fellowship. 

I did these things not because I needed to "stay busy." Christ, do I hate it when people use those words. Life is not about staying freaking busy. Life is about living. And boy, am I living.

Periodically, I know a lot of my working friends wish they could stay home with their kids. And periodically, I know a lot of my stay-at-home friends wish they could return to the work force. 

From my perspective, it's going to be really hard for me to go back full-time, unless it's something I completely love and see good in its value to our community. 

What makes it worse is that I love being my own boss at home. Even though I have a tough time as it is dealing with the full-on responsibilities regarding X-man and MacTroll and our pets. I make the schedule. I control the flow. Until life decides to have some fun and slap me around with the stomach flu or an ill pet or weeks of rain.

For a person who is able to make one income work and monitor a tight household budget, money isn't an incentive for employment any more. Would more money be nice? Hell yes. Would it be worth putting up with someone else's crappy, infant-like demands of my precious time taking me away from my family -- not so much. If I had to, to send X-man to school or to put food in his belly or keep our house, would I return? In an instant. 

But Parenthood so jacked me up for the workforce. Because I don't see a "hoorah" in a multi-billion dollar corporation making even more mega bucks because of my hard work. All I see is the "boo" for not being with the people that matter more... but that's because at this point, the household budget is working. If the economy collapses and we're all standing in lines for our cans of beans again and in line at the unemployment office, clearly things will be way different.

But one things if for sure, when I'm dead, I'll have done a lot more than 'stay busy.'   

3 comments:

Amy said...

Well put Loosey!

Sometimes, for me, it is a hard decision to stay-home vs. work. Although, I don't have a college degree, I sometimes feel like I'm more qualified to "mulit-task" than a freaking Harvard grad. =) But I know I'm very lucky that I don't have to work. Sometimes life drives me crazy but at least the little bosses I'm working for mean more to me than the whole world. I do hope in the end my children appriciate the fact that I stayed home with them instead of wondering why the hell I was always hanging around so much.

The Fearless Freak said...

I totally hear you. RF mentioned something about me going back to work once MT gets in school full time and I absolutely cringe at that idea. I can only imagine the amount of time that I will lose to working and I don't want to go there again.

Quigs78 said...

Yeah, I'm torn. We always thought I would go back to work after the kids were in school full-time, but the thought of being an involved parent at school is really appealing to me. And what about when the kids get sick? Or are on spring break and such? What job is going to give me that much time off? Or do I pay someone to watch my kids then? Lots of questions...no answers. We're definitely sacrificing to live on one income, but so far, it's been worth it.