Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Holy shit" Moments

X-man is full of surprises. Just when you think you know him and his abilities, he suddenly does something you never expected.

Like when my mom was in for surgery, we were walking down the hall of the hospital and he was upset by his surroundings. We stopped at a bulletin board that had cars on it and counted them. I knew he could count to ten. But when we got there, out came, "11, 12, 13, 14..." he went all the way to 20. 

He started at Next Generation when he was 15 months. At the time, we'd go to the park and I would stand over him and chase him around, even on the toddler playset. Then one day I went and picked him up during outdoor time. And there were 15 kids and three teachers... and every one of them ages 15-24 months, could climb the stairs and go down the slide by themselves. No one was hovering over them freaking out at every opportunity. They each had little safety points, one near the slide to make sure no pushing happened, one keeping an eye on the kids on the push cars in the area and another watching activity on the playstructure and its stairs. 

It was safe, but it was also independent play. I watched X-man walk up the stairs, wait in line and go down the slide by himself. He'd give a high five to his teacher (Ms. Sunny) and off he'd go to do it again. I had no idea he was capable of all that. 

So, you'd think that this morning, as I'm ordering him snow boots for the winter and listening to MacTroll and X-man watch Dora downstairs, that I wouldn't be surprised when Dora starts counting in Spanish -- and so does X-man. Loud and proud. Seriously, he knows more Spanish now than I know French. And I had 4 years of it, but I had never heard him use it outside of Spanish class before. Well, except when he says Hola and Adios to the wait staff when we go to El Toro II.

He's an uber smart, independent and fearless kid. And even though his father and I often have those qualities, too. He is definitely his own person. 

4 comments:

Quigs78 said...

I totally witnessed the Spanish in action today - and identifying a random number in Spanish, too!

I was way impressed! Muy bien, X-man!

SunnyD said...

Now if Bubba could teach X-man to identify letters on site... that would rock. Right now he only cares about the letter "O."

SunnyD said...

err on sight.

Misc said...

I know, those moments are totally amazing.

Thanks to Dora both my kids could count to 10 in Spanish before they entered school. I think that's the only upside to that girl (I can do without all the shouting).