Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Addiction to Christmas

So, I think I might have told you guys that I have an addiction for paper. I love smart ass stationery, well-designed book covers and wine bottle labels, and I have an excessive fondness for gift wrap. And nothing gets my paper obsession going more than the holidays. I start buying gifts months in advance and have them all wrapped and ready to go by Nov. 15. 

(For the record, I have 7 family members' gifts done, wrapped and waiting to be shipped right now. Yes, I know, to many this is a sickness.)

I like to get done early not only because I love the process and enjoy finding gifts for people, but because I hate people (that aren't my people) and I refuse to set foot in a store that's not for groceries or toilet paper after Nov. 15. I have made only a few exceptions to help other folks do their shopping. 

I don't throw old ladies to the ground to get into a store first to find a Wii. In short, I am a wuss. I like my capitalist Christmas, but I like to start dealing with it in August rather than the day after Thanksgiving. 

I've made it my mission to take the crap and stress out of the holidays. Because, let's face it... any holiday that requires getting together in large groups is gonna cause some stress. But what MacTroll and I found out first by moving 1,000 miles away from family and then by moving back here and building a house and having a kid, is that we really, really enjoy the family Christmas morning in our own home. We have no big meal or loud boisterous party. We sit around in our pajamas playing with our kid and taking it easy ALL DAY. 

And in essence, that's why we love Christmas. Sure, I enjoy giving the gifts more than the getting. But more importantly, I enjoy watching X-man see Christmas as a magical time when hope and kindness come together (hopefully) with some beautiful snow and some enjoyable music and a tree with nice lights while we sit in our home and enjoy our time with one another.

Really, holidays are just staging, right? But it's something different than a normal day. It has special foods and new toys and new clothes. It has new books waiting to be read and cuddly pajamas. It's an easier time. 

But Santa, if you're up and cruisin' the blogs looking for some miracles to bestow, I've been very good this year. But my Christmas list is very selfish, so get to everyone else's important ones (curing cancer, ending poverty, world peace, etc.) first... 

But my one Christmas (and Birthday) wish is this:

Please don't regift any gifts to my family that we might have given your family. Especially don't wrap them up and pretend like they're new. Instead, regift us stuff other people gave you -- stuff that doesn't look like it's been through high usage. But please don't do it with stuff I purchased myself. And it's not just me (the anti-Miss Manners) that says so... I mean, even the Motley Fools guys agree. They even made a do's and don'ts list for regifting!

If you want to be ecological and recycle old stuff your family loved, great, just e-mail me to see if I'd like them and then put them in a box and send them on any old day of the year. It's what I do. And if folks get the box and love them, great. If they don't, they can donate them. 

But regifting a gift someone has purchased you... is like putting the coal into the stocking, taking it out to show me, mocking me and then pelting me in the head with it.


6 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

I read a suggestion (for those organized types) to create a spreadsheet of all your regifts and who got them for you. That way, you don't accidentely regift to the person who bought it for you.

Personally, I'm not all that organized so I just make sure not to pull from the re-gift pile for my MIL and my GMIL, which is where most of my regifts come from :)

Quigs78 said...

Bah humbug.

libbygirl said...

Mr. Libbygirl is exactly the same. He loves to have shopping done way early. In fact this year, he was going to have a couple of picture gifts made until I reminded that we had another child coming and should probably wait. I agree that after Thanksgiving shopping is crazy. I will try not to regift you anything but my brain is mush these days, so no promises.

Anonymous said...

Love the regifting link! I love regifting--mostly in the "hey, I don't use this but think you might" vain--but I've known to pass some things off as new as well. But, yeah, getting it back to you sucks. Get this: I got a birthday card from a friend that I'd given her as part of a stack of cards that I didn't use (because I didn't like them). When she gave it to me, I thought it was a joke. Then she realized, and told me later that she felt like a schmuck. I laughed and actually got a kick out of it once I'd realized what had happened. But, then again, she and I have a huge regifting past. Anyway, my xmas wish for you is NO regifted presents for you, mactroll, or Xman.

SunnyD said...

Regifting is fine, as long as you don't give the gift back to the person who gave it to you the first time.

Seriously, no one should ever feel guilty for a quality regift!

Misc said...

I'm all for regifting as long as the gift is in its original packaging and hasn't been used.

And I'm already Christmas shopping - have been for a few months now. And I, too, love pretty paper. We have so much wrapping paper that Frank has forbidden me to purchase any more. That's tough.