Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Day of Random Meetups

The day started as any other. I was bribing my kid into the car to go to school with fruit snacks. He loves school, but he hates to be rushed. And his class starts at 8:30 a.m. (with counting the calendar which he lives) and then has snack... another favorite. Plus, I like to get to the gym by 9 a.m. so I can get in and out and get on with my day. 

I was sleep deprived, so when I got to the gym I headed to the locker room, put my hair up in a ponytail and -- snap -- the rubber band broke. Then I realized I left my iPod in the car, and I'd much rather work out to my music than the television. I love Jon Stewart but he doesn't exactly keep my heart rate up.

I entered in all the numbers into my elliptical and decided to be daring: 35 minutes! As soon as I start I hear my name and look up and behind me (trying hard not to lose my balance and fall off). Quigs and Cyberchick were waving hi as they dropped their little ones off. The next thing I know, Quigs has a rubberband for me (she always takes such good care of me) and Cyberchick and I are gabbing about work and last week's class and our friend Rogers' birthday (Happy Birthday Rogers!). 

Then Make_up girl waves hi as she goes to work out on the treadmill. Cyberchick runs off to join in on a step class and I almost fall off the machine a couple more times. I'm never good at things that require balance, but when I'm sleep deprived my friends will tell you my ability to stand upright is in question.

Afterward, I had some errands to run. Then I remembered I forgot to give Quigs her thank you for taking care of our cats when we were in Wisconsin. I also had Rogers' birthday gift in my car. So I played Santa. I ran to Quigs' first. She and Make_up girl were in the middle of a playdate. I chatted a bit and then ran over to Rogers' and played with Curious J while I chatted with her and her parents. Then I headed home, only to get a call that Rogers' birthday lunch with Mr. Rogers fell through, so they were picking me up to go to Culver's.

We pulled into the Culver's lot and parked... next to a blue car that belongs to Rachel. She and her husband and little Eli were having a lunch date. So we all walked in together. We ordered our food and then Rogers announced, "Look it's the Freak Family!" 

And indeed, it was them. 

After all that togetherness, I headed home and finally grabbed a shower, picked up some toys, did some laundry, cleaned X-man's bath toys and cleaned up the kitchen while planning dinner. I admit I needed a 45-minute nap before picking up the nipper. 

He and I have been hanging out all night. 

It just goes to show you how small the world really is...

X-man has two favorite words: Octagon and Subtraction. And his new favorite book is: No Biting, Louise!

3 comments:

Quigs78 said...

You're such a butterfly!

Bubba missed you terribly when you left. How does it feel to know that everyone loves you? :)

~rachel~ said...

I still can't believe I stared (blankly) at you guys for what seemed like 5 minutes before realizing I did know you!! :) Maybe you could get Culver's to be like a sponsor of CARE or something, I'm sure they make enough money off us- at least our family!

Misc said...

The world is freaky small, as I've recently realized.

Surprisingly, with all the people I know in this town I rarely see anyone. Weird.