Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blah happens even on vacation

The wind has been going crazy and the waves that were cresting 30 yards out are now doing it 100 yards out. They're also 4 feet tall and are eating the walkable area of the beach. 

To compensate, we watched some TV, played in the sand and then took a trip into town to eat at a restaurant called from Field to Fork. It's an all local food market and café. It was insanely good and we followed it up with a trip to Target for more diapers and some Lincoln Logs so we can build more effective parking garages for X-man's cars than the summer cottage's Jenga blocks allow. 

Unfortunately, while I was constructing the barn for the cars, X-man decided to sit on my back, which is fine... until he repeatedly struck me with an extra long Lincoln Log in the head. I've got a couple lumps on the head. 

We were supposed to leave 30 minutes later to tour the Sprecher Brewery, but I really needed a time out. I talked to MacTroll about it, but he looked really down. So I gave in and went. And it was me dealing with the 2 year old who wanted to tickle my face, but really just scratched my cheeks. He didn't want Daddy to hold him, so I did 90 percent of the holding. Then in the testing area, when he got his drink, he spilled it all over himself because he wouldn't sit still. Then he fell off of the bench. Then he fought me over a clothing and diaper change which left us both in a meltdown. We left and Mommy was ready to tear her hair out. 

I tried to point out how to get to the mall, but MacTroll wasn't listening. Then instead of going backwards I suggested that we stop at a town between the cottage and Milwaukee. MacTroll took the first exit rather than waiting for the exit with the Noodles & Co. sign. Then we drove into downtown Port Washington (bigger than Sarah Palin's hometown) and headed back out to the main high way completely missing the one exit where the restaurant was. 

So, it came down to us eating at Pizza Ranch, the only restaurant in Oostburg. We walked in and X-man did a 180 degree turn around. "Uh-uh. No! No! No!"

So here we are eating the left over cheese and bread back at the cottage. I guess it means no leftovers. But I'm uber frustrated. 

5 comments:

Quigs78 said...

This isn't how this week is supposed to end! Tomorrow will be a fresh, beautiful, sunny day and then you can come home to rain here. ;)

The Fearless Freak said...

That's why I don't take week long vacations with RF. If I'm going to be doing it all on my own, I want to be on my own turf, where I can sic my kids on unsuspecting people at the playground LOL

Thinking good thoughts for your last day and your trip home tomorrow :)

PS, I don't think I'm going to be at the garden on Sunday. It is supposed to rain all weekend :(

Misc said...

Did you at least get some free root beer at the Sprecher brewery?

I've so been there and can totally sympathize.

Have a safe trip home.

Lavender Lemonade said...

Aargh! I feel your frustration. I hate it (most of the time) when my kids get Mommy-Fixated (which is most of the time). Damn it, bother your father for once!

Hang in there! Maybe you deserve a trip into town by yourself...:)

Lindsay said...

Sorry for the frustration--we've totally been there. We took the boys to Colorado for five days and came back exhausted to the bone.

It sounds like you've had a great time up until the end . . . in fact I've bookmarked your cabin as a vacation possibility.

Here's to hoping your return trip is smoothe and peaceful, and that your back in time to indulge in the s'mores.