Thursday, June 12, 2008

Greetings From Rockford

We've been here 24 hours, and X-man has shown his Nana what a big boy he is and how impossible he can be. I think she's completely tuckered out by this afternoon. And if it wasn't for an impending thunderstorm, I think she'd be napping.

I'll blog about the exact places when I get home and can upload some photos.

But today after lunch, X-man refused to nap in the big boy bed at Nana's house. So he and I sat looking at some old photo albums. Most of them were strangely photos of flowers, and he kept asking for people. I put one down and picked another one up, and in that moment he decided to stand up, reach behind us and put his index finger and his middle finger on a HOT lightbulb in a desklamp on the dresser. Burns.

There was a lot of hysterical screaming (From X) and a lot of sighing by me as I tried to get him to run his hand under cold water. He kept holding it up to my lips wanting me to kiss it. And unfortunately, this was the first time my kisses weren't able to make the pain go away.

I called our nurse hotline in Chambana. She said I had done the right thing. The pads of his fingers started blistering up, so she pronounced him with second degree burns and gave us a treatment plan at home. Poor Nana kept trying to comfort X-man, but he would have none of it. And she was trying to get him to put his hand in some cold water or on a cold towel, but nope -- none of that either. He was in crazy, pain, no-nap toddler world.

Nana ran off to get some Children's Motrin for the pain. And X-man calmed down once I filled up a juice cup with ice and orange juice. Since he wouldn't hold the wet, cold towel, but was thirsty from all the fuss, I figured he was holding something wet and cold in his hand. That seemed to help. He refused the bandaids with neosporin profusely.

So, four episodes into Curious George he passes out in the big blue chair in the family room. I carefully put some neosporin on two different band-aids and wrapped his fingers up.

Poor nipper. He's gonna have a sore left paw for a while.

3 comments:

~rachel~ said...

Ouch!! Poor thing, burns are awful. I bet he'll remember not to touch light bulbs for awhile! Hope the rest of your trip goes better.

The Fearless Freak said...

Poor baby! Burns always hurt so much.

Hopefully, he feels better soon and the rest of the trip is totally smooth.

the sandwich life said...

oh my gosh...I remember when my littlest stood up on a chair when I had my back turned and fell onto the stove with his hand out....I'll never forget it....of course I also remember when the doctor and nurse started questioning Owen by himself to figure out whether I had done it...oh my....