Friday, June 27, 2008

One more baby item going, going, soon to be—gone!

Last night I ordered X-man a big boy bed. Not a toddler bed, but a real full-sized bed. The bed that will grow with him until he gets ready to go off to college, and then probably after that when or if he chooses to come home and visit or spend his summers/vacations in our house. 

It's a little strange thinking that far ahead. But I did it. I ordered the bed, so that instead of X-man falling asleep in our bed, we can lie with him in his and then just get up to leave rather than carry him out of ours and risk him waking. 

After I ordered the bedframe, I ordered him some more close-to-his-age sheets that were on sale. The bed is on backorder until July 25th, but MacTroll and I will go out before then and get him a good mattress. And later down the road, we might consider getting the loft bed that goes with the set for friend sleep overs.

That means, that there are precious few baby items in our house after this summer. The crib will be in the basement waiting for the diaper changer to be outgrown, so we can sell them as a set over Craigslist. Most of X-man's baby toys, DVDs and books have been passed on to friends and cousins. 

I was never a big fan of going ga ga over babies. I mean, I like them. They're cute and fun, particularly once they get to be around six months old and start to move on their own. But I really prefer that 15-24-month period, when they're definitely not babies, but also definitely not big kids. 

I'm excited for all the new things X-man is learning. I love watching him get so excited that he holds his hands up in fists and shakes, like his cousin Alex. I love that he can ask for things, tell me when he's thirsty, say please and thank you. He's good with his friends and animals. He's a hugger and a tickler. He's a dancer and a swimmer, too. Yesterday, he drew me a picture. Sure, it was on the wall of the kitchen and the magic eraser couldn't help me undo it after it was fully appreciated and explained that we draw on paper NOT on the wall, but he drew it for me. So, I said thank you. 

Last night at 11:30 p.m., I lifted his tired body from my bed and carried all 37 lbs of him into his room. This morning when I woke up at 7 a.m., he was back in my bed again. I had been so tired from this week, I didn't even hear him open and close his door, run in and climb into bed with me. 

It's days like this when I'm glad we have the gate keeping him from going downstairs. It also reminds me that I need to call a locksmith to install some deadbolts at the tops of the outside doors, because he can open the lower ones now.

X-man was an awesome baby, and I wouldn't want to have any other baby but him. But I also love him as a big kid. Bites, struggles and all.

Cute new thing this week: 
We've been watching a lot of "Two and a Half Men" around our house lately. X-man just refers to the show as "People!" Since he doesn't know their names like he knows Thomas, Lightning, Elmo or Bob. 

MacTroll gets home tonight. Woohoo!






2 comments:

Amy said...

cool new bed! Can't beat FREE SHIPPING =)

Quigs78 said...

I totally missed this post! Yay for little man beds!