Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Large and in Charge

Where do I have to go to get some decent underwear around here? I'm not talking the kind that last you forever -- I'm talking about the kinds that aren't on very long. 

I'm a girl with abandonment issues since Lane Bryant closed our store in Champaign, leaving the nearest plus-sized LB shopping to Bloomington. I keep walking in the "other" stores  like Maurices, Avenue, Dots, Old Navy (only works if you have a pre-baby body), etc., but no one is sporting lingerie for the food friendly. I had become dependent on finding at least a couple things at Lane Bryant over the years that had become staples. 

This is my problem. I'm smaller on top than I am on bottom. There is a 14" difference between my waist and my hips. My body screams for separates. 18 bottom/14 on top. One foot in "plus-size" and one foot in "regular." It's annoying.

So, I went out on a limb. I tried a new-to-me place online called Torrid. It's an LA-based store that I saw when I was in Irvine visiting KTDID last February. The "mall" it was in was scary. (I had never been to a mall with valet parking for my Ferrari before...) I'm much more daring online (go figure).

I tried a once piece red and white flowered teddy. Not bad, right? Maybe just bad enough...;-)



But I should have known better. Way to big for the girls, but just enough room for the caboose. 

So, my loyal readers, if you've got any suggestions in the not just bra and panty area (looking for something that covers the belly a bit), please, for my sake, tell me about where you go. Because I am apparently lingerie shopping challenged. Or maybe I just need a trip to the city to actually try stuff on. But just to be clear, I need underwire... and no thongs, g-strings or cheeky pants. I'm a hipster, bikini, boy shorts or french cut kind of girl.

On the plus side. I called Torrid for the return. They sent me a Fed Ex label over the internet to print and send back the package for free. Samantha, the customer service agent, was very friendly. And they appear to have new stuff all the time, so I'll keep trying. 

Three posts in one day... I must be doing laundry today.






17 comments:

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Have you gone to Confidentially Yours? They have a variety of sizes.

Hee, hee...I haven't worn sexy lingerie since before we had kids. Poor hubby. Guess he'll have to take what he can get!

Amy said...

I like Frederick's of Hollywood. They have cute stuff and great prices!

Unknown said...

If you're going up to Chi-town try Viva la Femme. Leah always gets the most gorgeous clothes there and I hear the intimates section is v good.

Quigs78 said...

I think it's funny that your lingerie post gets the most comments. :)

We have a Torrid at my mall back north. It's a little too hip for me. If Torrid existed when I was in high school though, I totally would've rocked the big girl scene.

SunnyD said...

Hey, my readers are sassy, not sentimental. All sentimental posts go without notice. They twiddle their fingers until something spicier comes around.

I don't mind. I'm kind of the same way. :-P

SunnyD said...

And Quigs, I know you so valet parked your Ferrari when you shopped at the mall in the burbs. Don't even try to deny it.

The Fearless Freak said...

:) What about the CJ banks at the mall (it is the new "big girl" store across from where LB used to be)? I've never actually been there when they were open but they are supposed to size 14 and over.

Or LB online, if you know of something that you like and don't need to try on anything.

Other than that, I have no info for you. I haven't worn lingerie since I became a big girl (which is to say, post kids). Dh is lucky to see me outside of old halloween costume sweats and an oversized night shirt LOL

SunnyD said...

Awww, but Freak. Torrid has PIRATE wear. Not sure if it's for your booty... but I did see some cool shirts that might be special occasion worthy.

SunnyD said...

Your booty meaning underwear... not specifically your booty... trying to use it as a pun, but look at me failing miserably.

Quigs78 said...

Haven't you seen my bumper sticker that says 'My 2nd car is a Ferrari?' Unfortunately, we had to sell it to make the move down here. And the yacht. And we let the maid go.

Oh, the sacrifices I've made...

The Fearless Freak said...

Thanks for the laugh, even if you had to explain the pun :)

and pirate wear is always cool, especially my shirt that says "surrender the booty" LOL I'll have to look

The Fearless Freak said...

Oh Quigs, you poor thing. But if you hadn't made those sacrifices, you never would have met us and wouldn't that have been tragic?

:)

SunnyD said...

My god. The comments on this post make it look like I have more than four readers. :-P

And I've been stalking my readership through my stats. That's been kid of fun. I feel all Scooby Doo like. Now I just need a mystery machine...

Quigs78 said...

Bunch of desperate housewives. You insinuate sex, and they all come a-runnin'.

Um, I'm still a little blog-tarded. How do you get your stats and find your readers? I can't find it in the settings...

The Fearless Freak said...

http://www.sitemeter.com/ I dled that and install it on my blog. It has some directions for how ot do it. They email you a report every week and you check more detailed stuff as often as you want on the site :)

Unknown said...

Wow, some days it just does not pay to be honestly interested in your wife's friends and their daily activities.

/me does not truly know how to respond

I totally cannot help with this particular problem, as I have not seen any underwear's as to what you have been describing in quite a LONG time.

-RF

Lavender Lemonade said...

so i still have the little black bag in my bottom drawer from that "in home" sex toy party i went to last year. i could actually look in the bag and see if there's a card or contact info...you could always host one of those par-tays...they sell lingerie too.