Monday, June 2, 2008

Mood Swings

I'm no slouch in the mood swing department. But my toddler seems to be the master. In between days where I'm getting knocked around a bit by his tantrums are days when he's super needy. Days when no one will do except Mama. At naptime and bedtime yesterday, X-man asked for his ba-ba (pacifier). Both times, I told him there were no ba-bas. That the ba-bas had gone to the babies, and that as a big boy, he got to do other cool things like go swimming in his new pool, play in his sand box and play with his new Mack Truck. (The Mac Truck was on sale for $16.99 at Toys R Us last week!) Last night, he got a little sad and asked for a hug. Then he laid in my arms like he did when he was a baby mumbling things. 

I asked him if he'd like me to sing him a song. He says, "Yes." So we start with ABC's. No, that's not right. Pick something else... back to an old standby... the song from Jaws. It's was his favorite at bedtime when he was tiny. 

The song finishes, he asks for more. I sang it three times. Then I wrapped him up in his dragon blanket from Ikea while he clutched his blankie, and I put him into bed. 

This morning, he stalled going to school at breakfast by eating his Cheerios one piece of cereal at a time. 

Then we got him dressed, and he said very clearly and matter of factly (which is pretty good for a kid who doesn't talk much), "I don't wanna go to the Turtle Room. Pandas, Mama, Pandas." It seems, similar to our friend Lightning McColin, X-man has some apprehension about moving rooms at school. 

I held him for a while, and he whimpered all the way to the car. Then in the car he got quiet and listened to the radio. At school he didn't want to come with us and stood at the car crying and pulling on the door handle. I held MacTroll's hand and at the sight of it, X-man ran up for hugs. Then we went into school, and I showed him where his cubby was, and his jacket hook and swimming bag. Then we went to wash hands in a bathroom with two mini toilets with two 2-3 year olds on them using them all by themselves. X-man stood in the doorway for a split second shocked. Then we washed hands and took him to Ms. Holly, who led him to a puzzle. 

I'm pretty sure by the time he makes it into the swimming pool at school at 3 p.m., he'll be glad he's a Turtle. But I can also see where knowing a lot of the kids can go potty by themselves, talk in full sentences all the time and have a bit more coordination is intimidating, particularly with new-to-him teachers in the room.

But my little man doesn't back away from a challenge. So I guess I better get on figuring out how to do this whole potty training thing and let him know that whenever he thinks of a ba-ba and misses them, I'm happy to hug him until he feels better.




4 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Dude, we're so jealous of X-Man's Mack! I caved and got Chick and Doc yesterday and Bub wasn't even with me. I got him a couple of Cars outfits, too. Apparently, Thomas is on his way out and no one even warned the poor cheeky engine.

X-Man is gonna be a rock star Turtle. It seriously makes me reconsider staying at home so Bubba can be around other kids that can have the positive peer pressure influence with potty training, talking, etc. I'm seriously excited to see what Turtle changes are in store!

Anonymous said...

We started potty training at 27 months and it took a year to reach full potty independence. If I did it again, I might wait until closer to three unless the child was really interested in it. But my mom insisted my brother potty trained 100% in a day at 2, so I felt like there was a rush when there really wasn't. He was the only little two in his room potty training. Now he is a potty training helper at school in his 3-5 room. Most of the 3s transition still in diapers at KK.

SunnyD said...

I'm just waiting for the day that X-man wants to sit on his potty. He's more interested in the flushing aspects. :-) But he knows what they are, and why potties exist... now if he could just feel the need to tell me when he's going to the bathroom (he still looks at me and denies he's got a poopy diaper because he doesn't want to stop what he's doing to get it changed).

So, definitely not ready yet. But time keeps going by so quickly...

libbygirl said...

Ohhh! I empathize with the whole moving up thing. It was a mess this morning. Colin was crying. I was crying. Tory just looked confused. He didn't know who to hug first. On the bright side, Colin's school friends are the ones who got him interested in using the potty. He just decided he wanted to see what was going on in that little room that they went into.