Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Here we go to grandmother's house...

Tomorrow X-man and I pack it up and head up to Rockyford. The birthplace of yours truly. My parents still live up there, so we're visiting my mom for two days and then going to dad and Barbara's on Friday night and Saturday before coming back down to Chambana.

We have a special trip planned for my Dad with my sister and her husband on Saturday in the burbs of Chi-town, which should be incredibly fun.

My parents have embraced the whole grandparent status pretty okay. When X-man was crawling, I outfitted both of their houses with brand new port-a-cribs and travel high chairs to make me have to haul less in the car. Now that X-man is all "big boy, big boy bed!", Dad donated his crib and gave us back the chair (so we can use it for guests in the future). Mom still has hers, but she's more of a keeper "just in case a baby visits" she's on ready status. 

Better yet, was the effort that they put into their houses on their own accord to make them safe environment for X-man. My dad and stepmom are queen of making sure all the plugs are in electrical sockets before we get there. When renovating his front foyer, my dad had his old 1970's handrails and banisters replaced to be childproof, and he purchased a gate for the top of the stairs, as did my mom. Both houses routinely move all breakable objects out of X-man reach (a feat which they are astonished at each time we visit giving his growth and ability to grab things). 

And it's nice because it makes the visit so much easier when your son can play with things and move about the house freely. Nana even has a stash of toys she's picked up at garage sales that X-man loves to play with. And then at Dad's we pull out the rubbermaid box of cars and trucks for him to zoom around the wooden floors. But mostly, he likes sitting on my dad's lap and listening to him identify birds in the backyard. 

What it means for me is that I get to do my weigh-in up north, and as things go, this weekend kind of put me off track with all the going out with the girls. Eating out is so the killer of all good things related to progress in the WW area.  It also means I'll get a chance to scope out some father's day gifts for MacTroll, awesome dad, extraordinaire. 

And don't worry about the kitties and the dog. We use 3 PhD Petsitting. Michelle and her crew are awesome and thorough -- and I love that you book them entirely ONLINE.





2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Have a super fab time! But we miss you when you're gone. :(

Speaking of petsitters, did you tell them not to freak out if there are intruders in the house on Thursday? 'Cause I think Freak and co. are going to be there with me for a while, too, if that's okay.

Lavender Lemonade said...

Oh, I have such fond memories of the WW weigh ins at the Jewish Community Center in Rockford. :) I predict good things for yours. :)