Monday, June 23, 2008

To work or not to work

I've been flipping through the want ads lately looking for jobs that sound attractive. I've never really not worked (minus the three months before and after X-man's birth). And I'm a little freaked out by not having a paycheck only 5 weeks after my position at Millikin ended. 

Since I've collected a paycheck since I was 15, when I got my worker's permit to be a library page at the North Suburban Library, there's a certain amount of stress to my predicament. I mean, I know it's weird to think about, but I've spent 17 years working already. And theoretically, I should have 35 years more to go. 

But what I really want to do is to teach early education, and since plans to get a second master's fell through (I'm giving the big university the bird from my computer right now), I'm exploring my Parkland option starting in Spring 2009. That gives me six months, IF I decide to go that way, to be unemployed.

Or I could accept that career number two is not going to happen any time soon and get a position that works with me now. However, I'm finding a crazy amount of difficulty finding something part-time that wants me to work between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Everything has crazy evening or weekend hours attached to it that I can't participate in due to MacTroll's work schedule. 

But if I went back to work, even only part time, I would be paying for X-man's pre-school, which he loves (he doesn't want to leave the Turtle room when I go to pick him up these days). 

So here I sit thinking: Do I just make my house/home life my job and recognize that with everything I get done now during the week it means that MacTroll and I get pure, fun family time on the weekends? (i.e. I just own the housewife -- why is that such a dirty word to me? -- title and do it Dana-style) Or do I accept that making a meager paycheck doing good things for the community would ease some financial pressure and is, therefore, paramount.

Adding to the difficulty of the choice is my current weight loss goal. I'm rocking at the walking. I'm going to the gym. I'm cooking meals and really feeling very in tune with my body. I never feel any of this is important when I'm working. In fact, because I work, single parent, and do the house stuff, I feel completely overwhelmed most times. But at the end of the day... there's that damn check. 

Sounds like a poll for people who know far more than I do... :-) 

Look to the right if you want to be quantitative or leave a comment if you're all about the qualitative. You're obviously welcome to do both, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that easing financial pressure by working part-time isn't the equivalent of achieving financial uber-security. If you want the latter, you're probably going to need more than a PT job that doesn't offend you. Not suggesting that you should be looking for career-track work, but am suggesting that the financial benefits of working PT perhaps aren't as significant as the wording of your poll suggests, and noting that the non-financial costs you describe in your post ought not to be minimized as you evaluate your options.

libbygirl said...

I would say don't take a job just because you "need" to work. If you can, wait, and something great may come along and in the meantime take some time for yourself . In order to get something on your resume in the EC field, maybe you could volunteer at X-man's school or Crisis Nursery? You are always more than welcome to drop by my class when you have a chance.

The Fearless Freak said...

From the position of someone who isn't even to the point of "sink or swim" but is barely gasping for breath while being sucked under, money isn't everything.

Personally, I love being home. I love having the freedom to do the things I want to do with the kids. You have the chance to wake up on a Weds morning and decide that you want to take X-man to the zoo. No guilt about calling in, nobody to give you a hard time about it, just having a great day with your kid.

The money is obviously an issue but it the BIG issue? Only you can decide that.

Unknown said...

How about focusing on your health, keeping an eye on the want ads, considering other projects you could do, and then going to school in 09. Seems like you could get a lot of benefits from a short time off working. I really loved last summer when Henry and I were home from July-Nov even though I was selling lots of books on Amazon to keep the wolves at bay. I find when I don't work it's easy to not spend, but when I start working the "I want, I deserve" switch flips on.

~rachel~ said...

I like Libbygirl's suggestion to volunteer that would look good on your resume and you'd still have time to focus on yourself. I'd keep up with the want ads just in case- but I am obsessed with the want ads!! Can you take 1 or 2 classes this fall, that might help you out if you start to feel "lost" not working.

Amy said...

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it =)

You said it yourself. You're rocking at weigh-loss. Money isn't really an issue and you've got a lot of stuff going on right now. If you were hating staying home and therefore husband and child are suffering then I would say run, don't walk back to work. But it doesn't sound like that is the case so keep on rockin' it girl!

SunnyD said...

See, my friends so totally understand. Money is out. Health is in.

Libbygirl, when you get back from maternity leave we'll work out the volunteering. I'm going to ask at X-man's school... Maybe they need some box top clipping. :-)

I walked 5.75 miles yesterday, so I just went to Curves this morning. I read 80 pages for book club (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Rooster... and David's Mom.)

But mostly, I'm thankful for all of your support.