Friday, April 3, 2009

I did good today

You know when you're living your life the exact right way -- when you do something and people are genuinely thankful for your efforts. 

Every year for the last 4, I have organized the March food drive for the Savoy Curves, where I used to be a member. Most of the area Curves give their donations straight to the food bank. But the Savoy Curves wanted to see if any area organizations that serve other women directly needed some help too. I happened to be on the circuit during that discussion while I was serving on the board at A Woman's Fund -- so I stopped my workout and told them about the organization, and agreed to make the fliers and the wish list book marks for members to take with them to the stores. I also agreed to tote the food from one place to the other at the end of the month, or as often as needed.

Today was the end of the annual food drive for 2009. I took my VW over expecting to fill it up -- but what waited for me was 2-3 times the amount of food that I normally carted. The staff helped me load up and then Leann brought her minivan around for the rest and off we went.

If you live anywhere these days you know that state budgets are in holy hell, which means social service organizations have no idea what their budgets are, what they'll get money for and what they won't. Or if they'll get it on time or 8 months later... 

When we delivered the two cars worth of food, the staff was in shock. We kept carrying it in, and they took it back to the pantry. They just stood their box after box, bag after bag saying thank you, and "This is just amazing."

After the cars were unloaded, Leann left and I helped carry the items back to the kitchen, where residents and staff were working together to shift things and make room. People were taking things out of bags excited about their contents. 

Food apparently is a universal language of love. So a big thank you to the members of the Savoy Curves for all of their love and help. You did great things this month ladies. You helped some people getting back on their feet know you care. 

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome! So glad you all were able to help so many people. It is one of those things that simultaneously reminds us how much we are blessed with and how we can genuinely help others.

Amy said...

I walked by there the other day while taking the kids to Little Gym and saw a lot of bags lined up against the window. That is so awesome that so many people helped out. It gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling!