Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thank You, Illini Pundit

One of the things I find most annoying about living in Champaign-Urbana is that none of the local media update their websites enough. For example, last night I wanted election results... and there was nothing at the three TV stations, the newspaper and the April 2009 election blog thread wasn't working at our county clerk's office. (Remember I don't have TV.)

Apparently, I'm not the only blogger that this frustrated, and Illini Pundit, a neighbor and friend, went down to the county building to report the returns -- making him more useful to the community than any of the local media. Still at almost 7 a.m., no articles are printed anywhere -- they have to be reporting things in their morning news shows, right?

Anyway, if you want to see the voting break down check out Pundit's site. Oh, and yes, the school district is going to get some cash. :-) So, get ready to start stimulating our local economy...

3 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

The morning news coverage was basically a joke. Every 15 minutes, they would cover a couple of results but never anything comprehensive.

My mom was getting results somewhere at 630 but I don't know where. Since she isn't super tech savvy, I'm betting it had to be on one of the news channels websites.

Quigs78 said...

I was checking online last night because I missed the news. Nothing.

I understand that the N-G only updates their website once a day, but on an election day? Come on. Surely you can pay one guy overtime to throw up the results.

Cyberchick said...

WCIA (and probably the others) does not have a dedicated web content producer. They rely solely on reporters to put their own stuff online. That's why there so many grammatical errors...they are simply posting the copy they read on air.

So if you DID watch them on TV, you would see the exact same wording online. Their bottom line ticker works the same way - it's quite annoying!