Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Yeah, I voted but I hated it

This morning I walked into my polling area in Savoy and placed my vote. I found this election particularly annoying because besides voting for school board members and voting whether or not to increase the county-wide sales tax to support the schools the rest of my ballot appeared pointless.

Most people ran unopposed. There's really no one to vote for in those situations. It's not like you have a choice. You're getting that person (or those people), so what's the point in filling out the bubble unless you're really gung ho for that candidate? I found it annoying.

I'm curious to see what happens with the sales tax this time around. I was uber disappointed that it didn't pass last November. Outside of the presidential race, it was the only one I was really excited to know the outcome. It failed by such narrow margins, mostly in the rural areas according to the News-Gazette. This time I don't have my hopes up. Mostly because the chance of X-man going to a neighborhood school in Savoy when he's in kindergarten in 2011 are basically zero. We moved here six years ago, and the papers have been talking about building a school down here for a decade, but my little community is waiting in line while people in other parts of the city (who have been waiting for multiple DECADES) may finally get their school improvements. 

It's disappointing how this community, situated next to one of the brainiest universities in the world, consistently refuses to take care of the educational needs of its children. 

1 comment:

The Fearless Freak said...

Fortunately, it was a short ballot. I honestly had no idea who many of the people were :(

I'm crossing my fingers but I'm not holding my breath on the sales tax. I've, still, seen a lot of people who don't understand what it is and what it is for. No wonder it got defeated before. This time around there was a regular effort to ensure people knew what they were voting for. Before it was left to individual districts to inform their voters. Obviously, they did a poor job of it.