Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lost in Transition

Two months ago I made arrangements for a photographer to come to our house on Saturday, May 2 to take a family photo. I had images of our tulips being up and the sun being out. But if the week so far is any indication of what this weekend will be like, we're going to have to do the photo taking inside... 

Not only that, but I want to expand my gardens this year. Since my diet consists mostly of fruits and vegetables now, it make sense to grow more than I did last year. The problem is that underneath my sod is a mixture of clay and rock that is unfriendly to the eye and to plants. How bad is it? So bad that I've enlisted professional help. They're going to dig out four separate new garden areas around the house, amend the soil and then install edging for me. When do they start? Saturday, May 2. 

I also have two garden boxes sitting in my living room in their shipping containers waiting for me to set them up in the backyard and mount the herb planters I got against our fence. 

In addition, the sod we got appears to have a high thatch issue. It's late to come up because of it, doesn't really green up very well in early spring and is overall annoying, particularly since SuperShawn has grown himself some amazingly soft and vibrant green grass. So, on May 9 when X-man and I go up north to see Thomas, MacTroll is scheduled to de-thatch our yard. We're also going to have it aerated.

But what am I doing today? I'm trying to get over a headache while madly cleaning the interior of our house so that if the photographer does end up inside, it doesn't look so much like MacTroll and I have been blatantly ignoring our chores. Which we have, but you know, we've had our plates full this year. 

Hopefully my summer off will not entirely be composed of household crap, but I am looking forward to spending a lot of time out in my gardens. 


3 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

Weather Channel is saying 65 and partly sunny on Saturday, so you guys might luck out :)

Cyberchick said...

Oooh, please report on the dethatching. We have a serious thatch problem and it is really depressing! We double aerate every year, but with that clay underneath it doesn't seem to do much good.

Mama2SweetBabyJames said...

Yay for gardening! You must post some pics once it starts coming up.