Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sigh

I picked up X-man from school today to find out that he bit a friend within the first 10 minutes he was in the room this morning. Thus ending a 6-month, non-biting period for him.

When I talked to him about it in the car, he said the other child hit him in the nose. He told his friend not to hit. The friend did it again. So he bit back. I have no idea if what he's telling me is true, but to my knowledge he's never openly lied to me. 

Is it wrong that I miss the mechanics of a 2-year-old room? I miss the Turtles where kids didn't call my son an ogre and tell him he was bad or that he ruins everything. He's trying so hard to fit in with a bunch of kids he doesn't know. 

Anyway, I told him that if someone hits him, he should shout, "FRIENDS DON'T HIT!" as loud as he can. I'm hoping it'll draw attention to the situation from all sides and embarrass the bullies. The teacher did say that they have some near 4 year olds who are starting to push around the smaller children. 

I know teachers have their hands full. I just wish things didn't have to be that way for them. But now I know that in 10 months, my kid is probably going to be shitty to other kids too. 

And that makes me sad. 

4 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

We've always tried having the kids scream "Leave me alone" when someone was bothering them because it is pretty all purpose. Unfortunately, they either don't seem to get it or it isn't all that effective because neither one of them do it much.

Quigs78 said...

This so does not mean that X-man is going to be shitty to other kids and you know that.

He's in a transition period, and we all regress a little when things are different. He'll be okay. And so will you.

Laura Wells said...

I was thinking this morning about how painful it is to watch our kids go through learning social skills. Each kid is unique and watching the process of learning to handle social situations is painful. And there is so much more to come...

makeup_girl said...

Two weeks ago, Ella bit her cousin Aubry, simply because Aubry didn't want to play with her. Ella didn't try to lie about it and apologized. I was surprised by the whole situation - she's 4 1/2!