Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Annoying Habits

As a human I have a lot of annoying habits. Some I am completely aware of. For example, I notice errors in everyone's grammar, except my own. Did you see Grey's Anatomy last week? The file drawer in the Chief's office said "Resident's files." As if he only had one resident! Sigh. It's annoying. But I don't say things out loud to people. I don't edit blogs or correct people when they say, "I feel badly" rather than "I feel bad." (Seriously, look it up if you don't believe me.) It's my own private, dirty problem -- so I keep it to myself.

But today at dinner with 3/4 of the Freak family, I noticed a really annoying habit that I was completely unaware of. FF would be parenting her children, asking them to sit still or eat a piece of chicken and I would repeat it as if I was Sigourney Weaver's character on Galaxy Quest (if you haven't seen it, the running gag is that her whole job on the space ship is to repeat what the computer says to the captain). 

It's not like I thought they'd listen to me or that I was helping. I wasn't really thinking when I was doing it. I think it was some sort of automatic pilot to back up the other mother at the table, which clearly isn't needed.

I'm pretty sure that you could put a blindfold on FF and tie her hands behind her back and she could completely bend her children to her will by using some kind of magical Jedi-like Force. Seriously, I have that much confidence in her as a woman and as a mother. But I'm going to try to jumpstart my brain and put an end to the annoying habit.


4 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence (also thanks for not correctly my spelling and grammar which I know are terrible)but like I said at dinner, it never hurts for my kids to have the repetition :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence (also thanks for not correctly my spelling and grammar which I know are terrible)but like I said at dinner, it never hurts for my kids to have the repetition :)

Gosh I that woman in galaxy quest was SO funny. Unfortunately now that I know you are mentally editing everything that I say for grammar and punctuation I am kinda freaked out. I Still think you guys are the best though.

-RF

Quigs78 said...

Please repeat everything I say to Bubba! Did you notice at dinner last week that I could tell him something over and over again, but he only did it if you asked him? And I'm speaking for myself here, but I like that I can trust other parents (you, MacTroll, FF, RF, libbygirl) have my kids' best interest at heart, too, and that you're keeping tabs on them. So feel free to step in whenever you want if it looks like I need to call in reinforcements. :)

~rachel~ said...

feel free to correct my grammar or spelling, i hate it when i mess up, and have to go back and edit when i catch it. Although when i don't capitalize it is most likely because I am lazy or laying down in bed and it would take too much effort to use both hands! I try to only do this on comments, so hopefully it won't bug you too much!! :)