Monday, May 19, 2008

A Thousand Hours

Nearly every year since 2004, I have made an annual "pilgrimage" to Montreal.

The first year, I was there in May with Joel, but Joel and I have two different ideas about exploring new cities. I tend to be quiet, stick to my feet and wander just watching. Joel likes a point to the travels. In other words he'd like to get out of the hotel and take a cab to point A, enjoy himself and then take a cab back to the hotel. Minimal walking around point A is okay, but he's not a wanderer. He likes direction. 

My problem with this method of vacationing is that it's how I live my life. I don't see the forest through the trees as I'm whizzing from one place to another. 

So later that summer I declared a Dana-only 10-day vacation. I drove from Champaign to Montreal and back by myself. I visited friends in Toronto, Ann Arbor and Montreal. I went to festivals, the Toronto Islands, saw Rod Stewart on the street with his new wife (who doesn't look that much different from Rachel Hunter) giggled at hundreds of people camped out chanting outside of Madonna's hotel and I chilled out. 

When I came back, I felt fresh. I had perspective. I had time with myself in a different place. I'd stayed at an awesome hotel (go Hotel St. Paul!)

I went back again in January 2005 after I decided to quit my full-time job at the health insurance company. I even rented a lovely apartment on St. Louis Square. Who goes to Quebec in the winter? Me. Everyone looked at me funny when the only solid reason to my calling to go up north was, "I'm going to see a Roy Dupuis movie." :-)

I went on another pilgrimage, this time with my best friend KTDID in June 2005. We spent a lot of time in the Eastern Townships and then up near Mont Tremblant at a cabin on a lake, where we canoed and grilled out. We headed into town just one day. In the middle Kate flew home and Joel flew up and drove back down to Champaign with me. 

In August 2005, our friends Mitra and JF got married in Vieux Montreal. We went up for the wedding. I was around 8 weeks pregnant at the time and pretty miserable. 

I didn't get back up to Montreal until X-man was 17 months old. I had four days alone to sleep, read, wander... and so many things that I loved the several times I had been there before, I grew to appreciate even more after a long absence.

Now I'm looking at July with wonder. Do I keep going back to spend my Loosey-only 3-4 days in a place I'm comfortable, but still a place that never fails to show me something new? Or do I look past my comfort to a whole new adventure... one that is only limited by points with Hilton and frequent flier miles on American? :-)


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bob and I have been talking about going to Montreal to watch Walter Payton's son play in the Canadian Football League. Toronto is fantastic in the summertime too, plus the wineries between Toronto and Niagra are quite wonderful.

SunnyD said...

I've never been a huge fan of Toronto. Mostly because it's much more "American" than other major cities in Canada. But I do love Ian and Andrina and Rachel who all live in TO proper. Plus, it's Canada... and really, what is there not to love about causing trouble with Canadians on vacation.

Quigs78 said...

My vote is something new! Traveling alone is such an adventure, and you have no one to tell you what to do or where to go and how many times a day you can eat ice cream (okay, that's just what we do on vacation). Bust out of your comfort zone and explore!

(I'm way too jazzed right now - you could tell me you're going to Paducah and I'd be excited for you.) :)

Amy said...

You're so lucky! I would love to venture around a new (or old) city for a couple of days. I'm jealous!!!!! That being said maybe do a little research and see if anything intrigues you enough to want to explore. If not, it sounds like you have a deep affinity for Montreal and it seems to keep you coming back =)

SunnyD said...

It's kind of a trade off and fair game. MacTrolll gets to spend some alone time with X-man, since I get him to myself a lot of the time. It's not a lot of time, but it's special.

Plus after being the parent on point for so often during the year, I get a few days just to recharge my batteries and be Dana either with friends or just by myself.

Lavender Lemonade said...

Go to Duluth, its awesome. Lake Superior is essentially an ocean. :)

Anonymous said...

Have you been to Vancouver? It's awesome, especially in September. I'm just a big Canada fan I guess.