Friday, May 30, 2008

Supreme Guilt Factor

Once upon a time I was the chief financial earner in my relationship. Seriously. I was either ahead or even with MacTroll — until we moved here and I agreed to stay home while he took a job at Apple and traveled like crazy.

Since I had the 60-hour work week in D.C., going from the fast lane to "Yawn, what do I want to do today?" was actually more mentally difficult than I thought. When I went to the grocery store I'd think about how I was spending "his" money. I'd come back and tell him how much I saved with coupons or deals or how I adjusted recipes to avoid the expensive costs of various produce. 

I needed a project. So I dove into the weight loss. It was my top priority. And I was good at it, until I accomplished that and came to bed one night and said, "I need a part-time job." Joel wasn't sold since we had recently decided to have a baby. 

So we had a baby. And at 3 months post partum, my old professor from Millikin called and offered me a 2-year teaching contract in Decatur. It was uber daycare friendly (no really strange hours). And since I love my undergraduate institution like mad, I jumped at the chance. It didn't pay much, but it did cover X-man's tuition at Next Generation (which he LOVES attending thanks to Ms. Melissa, Ms. Natalie and Ms Sonya -- soon to be Ms. Chrissy and Ms. Holly in the Turtle Room).

My last day of teaching was May 12. On May 20, I applied for a part-time job as a volunteer coordinator/mentor coordinator with Unit 4 schools.  It was the only job I was remotely interested in.

Today I got invited to interview for the job next week.

I'll let you know how it goes. The job listing was more of a list of minimum requirements rather than a job description. So at this point, I feel like I'm just exploring. But MacTroll is still laughing that I couldn't put up with being unemployed for longer than two weeks. 

If I was home with X-man I'd feel differently about it. But he's in school, and I like that he's in school and he likes he's in school. And since I'm looking down the line thinking I'd like a job in education, this might be a good step given my past employment and volunteer experiences. 

I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Yay! I think it's funny that you have to interview when you know you're overqualified for this position. It's going to more of an interview to see if you want the position than to see if they want you. 'Cause you know they want you. They're dying to have you.

~rachel~ said...

I hate not working, I always look in the paper for my dream job, and have thought about applying for a few recently. Then I remember that I am about to have a baby and I WANT to stay home for a while!