Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Floss This!

I am 32 years old, and today I sat in a chair at the dentist's office and was told no less than 7 times to floss every day by the dental hygienist. That occasional flossing is not enough, and that even though I'm busy and have a little one, I should consider daily flossing a priority.

Yeah, I'm still picking my chin up from the floor.

Things I currently put as priorities that I need to do. All of them are in front of flossing...These are numbered, but they're not in any particular order.

1.) Sleeping
2.) Showering
3.) Working out at least 60 minutes five days a week. (Believe it or not, I did do this.)
4.) Cooking meals that don't come out of a box or can.
5.) Finding a new part-time, temporary job.
6.) Going to school to move onto an actual career in what I want to do.
7.) Paying my bills and refinancing my house.
8.) Using the topical acne cream I pay $35 every 8 weeks for.
9.) Actually spending time with my husband that isn't centered around a meal (although I'll take it if it's all I can get.)
10.) Wrestling my 2 year old so I can care for HIS teeth.
11.) Vaccuming and cleaning up after a messy kid, husband, five cats and my dog.
12.) Changing Gordy the Goldfish II's fish water
13.) Cleaning out my car. 
14.) Staying on top of my elderly cats 4 pills a day and fluid treatment while monitoring her weight.
15.) Mowing
16.) Planting the happy tree (see above).
17.) Having groceries in the fridge.
18.) Having clean underwear.
19.) Getting out of the house.
20.) Taking a multivitamin and calcium to make up for the fact that periodically my life consists of fast food (something I had given up completely for three years before X-man). 
21.) Having a mental reprieve and hanging with my friends.
22.) Organizing CARE.
23.) My blog.
24.) Eating at least 2 meals a day.
25.) BRUSHING my teeth.

Somewhere after all this comes flossing. And though I know it's her job, saying it once is enough to fulfill the requirement. I heard you. I understand. But you saying it isn't going to change my behavior. Trust me, if things were that instantaneous, I'd be a size 8 with perfect Title IX catalog body tone, done hair, wearing my contacts every day and living in a Martha Stewart-esque clean house while cooking for my boys like I was Rachel Ray and working on my career where I helped little kids learn basic reading and math skills and encouraging them to love science, games, history, technology and learning... But unfortunately, there's a little bit of time crunch.

On a good healthcare note, I have a doctor who doesn't tell me every time I'm in her office that I need to lose weight. She seems to understand that I live in my body, and I know what I need to do (mostly because I did it before). But that it takes a lot of hard work. And she knows that I'm not dumb, which is what it feels like when someone tells you something seven times.

I'm staring at my happy tree. And then I'm going walking with libbygirl and Lightning McColin.


3 comments:

libbygirl said...

I love the Lightning McColin nickname. I am totally going to steal it. Thanks :)

~rachel~ said...

You should tell her that you have time to brush or floss, but not both!! I heard the same things after Rowan was born, I think it's because pregnancy has such a bad effect on teeth- I'm lucky if I can get mine brushed before I fall asleep most nights!! :)

Lightning McColin is a cute name!!

Unknown said...

My dental hygenist yelled at me to floss in a horrified, "You FLOSS Girl" once. Since then I floss the night before and tie a knot in my floss to bust out most the plaque. She's never said diddly squat again.