Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Beat up, knocked out and drown

X-man and I spend a lot of time together, but usually he's not sick and usually I'm not sick. But today we were sick at the same time AND it was raining all day.

We colored (I can send every person I know his/her own X-man artwork, if you want). We played music. We watched "Curious George." We had snack. We got out the cars and the trucks. We tickled. We played at the train table. We played store. We played with the Fisher Price farm. We wrapped cousin Mikayla's 2nd birthday present. We scooped the cat boxes. We talked to MacTroll on the phone. We talked to Nay-Nay over iChat. We had a 3-hour nap. We watched the "Cars" movie. We read about two dozen books, including "Senses at the Seashore" at least five times. We had pizza and jello for dinner. We took a bath in mama's bathtub and got water all over the floor. X-man learned how to turn on the radio on my alarm clock and demanded his favorite song, "Ho, Ho, Ho" (oka: "Up on the Housetop" by Gene Autry). How you explain to a two-year-old kid that Christmas tunes aren't likely to be on the radio in May is kind of rough.

So this is all the stuff we did. And during the course of all of it I took a beating. I got a broom handle dropped on my toe. I got my hair pulled. I got whacked in the finger with a metal spoon. I got a wooden toy steak thrown at me. I got a hardback book in the nose. I got a bathtoy jammed in my ear. I got head butted. I got pinched. 

Was it intentional? No. 

Did we talk about gentle touches all day? Yes. 

Would it have been easier if we could have at least gone outside for some gross motor time? Yes.

Was it a restful sick day? Not at all. 


5 comments:

Quigs78 said...

I feel your pain - literally and figuratively. And Bubba is in a Cars phase, where we're literally watching the movie over and over and over again.

So no words of wisdom or comfort here, just some virtual empathy.

SunnyD said...

I felt like the world's shittiest mother for just turning on the movie and sitting down on the couch.

Quigs78 said...

Not me - I'll turn on a movie anyday to avoid a two year old meltdown, complete with tears, snot, and screaming. He can take the money out of my nursing home fund to pay for his therapy later.

libbygirl said...

Colin and I will re-enact the Car's scenes while we are watching the movie unless I fall asleep, which happens a lot too. I thought that I would comment since I have been keeping up with your saga this week by reading your blog.

SunnyD said...

When X-man gets to the end and the credits roll, he shouts, "Uh oh!" He then runs to the computer and bangs on the keys shouting, "Cars! More Cars! Mater!"

So after nap we watched it one and a half times, while playing with our Matchbox cars and our Fisher Price bus. He decided the Little People were overrated and just piled all his little cars into the bus. He played with them for thee hours... and then demanded that they go up to his room with him when it was time for bed.