Friday, October 31, 2008

Getting Back on the Horse

Today, I mailed in my non-degree seeking application to Parkland Community College. I'm going to go ahead and take 12 hours worth of classes next spring. Hopefully, I'll get into Program Planning for Young Children and Care of Infants/Toddlers. I'm also planning on taking the First Aid/CPR class (which is basically 1 month of Thursday evenings, so I'll find a sitter for those) so I can be certified and Psychology 101 -- because I never took it in school and it's a prerequisite to to take their Child Psychology class... which I think I'd like to do down the line.

Classes, besides CPR, are all in the morning. 9-10:50 MW, 11-12:15 T/Th. I'll have to do a couple hours of labs during the week too, but since there aren't times, I'm guessing this is at my own discretion. The psych class is online. 

The plan being that after I get my credit, I can then apply to be a substitute teacher at pre-schools around town while I continue to take classes that I'm interested in and also continue to allow me to have flexibility due to my out of whack family schedule, while still being friendly with my child care situation when I'm a single parent. 

I'm very excited about the idea, although not so excited about having to relearn APA style (seriously I hated it). 

So there ya go. Teacher jobs are expected to grow in Early Childhood Education over the next 10 years, but mostly, I'm excited because I've wanted to do this for a long time. 

2 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Love it! I'm very excited for you - and the long term plan is attainable, but still satisfying. Kudos!

And anytime you want to borrow my kids for your own "lab," you're more than welcome. :)

~rachel~ said...

Yeah How exciting for you!! I so badly want to go back to school, but it always makes me excited to hear about others getting to!

And I'm with Quigs I'd be happy to let you use my kids for anything school related :)