Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Troll Feet

Last Wednesday, we go to pick up X-man at school and Ms. Holly, his teacher, announces that X-man sat on the potty at EVERY diaper change that day (they ask him if he wants to and up until now he's always said no).

During one of the potty trips, he managed to sit on the potty and forget to aim his penis down. X-man is a super sonic pee-r. Really, it's one of his super powers, so he managed to take out his pants and get a bunch of it all over the floor. (I promise I'll give both of his teachers good gifts at the holidays!) 

We took in extra pants again on Thursday morning. Only to return to get him before the CARE Illini Marching Band meet up to find our boy in all of his spare clothes and a pretty new pair of white shoes with butterflies on them from the "extra shoe bin." That day, he'd managed to take out all of his clothes and his shoes during one of the potty stops on Thursday. 

We had been planning on having a kids clothing swap at our house on Saturday -- until Friday when we took X-man to the doctor due to a cough and a running nose and found out that he (and later I) would have an upper respiratory infection.

Then on Sunday, I was supposed to stop by a friend's and hang out and pick up her son's hand-me down shoes (which will still be helpful as their 1/2 size bigger than what X wears right now). But I got sick... and I don't spread germs on purpose. So I stayed home.

Today, two pairs of shoes came from Amazon.com, where I get free shipping. Carbon hounds back off, because here's the deal -- My kid has MacTroll's feet. 

MacTroll is a 7.5 EEEE. Yes, it's possible. His feet are almost as wide as they are long. He has to wear a shoe two sizes too long to fit him across the width. It's apparently a Troll family trait. And although X-man missed out on the other Troll traits like the big frontal lobe, the mono brow and attached ear lobes -- he did get the feet, the short legs with long torso, the blonde hair and the randomly large, round head.

So, I can't just run to Target and plop down $7 on cheap tennis shoes because there's no way to cram a 9 1/2 XW toddler foot into a M shoe. For example, for his winter boots I had to buy a size 11 to fit his foot with socks on, because most kids winter boots don't come in XW sizes. 

Who knew that getting my kid shoes was always going to require me to go out of town or to the internet to get them. And the selection at Andy's (is it closed yet?) and the Stride Rite in Tuscola on XW are both pretty dismal. 


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Are those Troll feet, or Hobbitis? I guess it all depends on if they are hairy or not.

:)

-RF

Quigs78 said...

I'm going to spare you jokes about men and the size of their feet.

But you seriously make the Troll side sound like trolls with your descriptions. :)

Misc said...

Try Heel to Toe in Urbana. Evan wears an XW as well and I've always found shoes for him there.

The Fearless Freak said...

My brother used to wear a EEE so I totally believe EEEE. My mom would get his stuff at Andy's but seeing as they didn't have internet access back then, the pickins were slim.

~rachel~ said...

Wow so I'm guessing his shoes are pretty expensive too? I din't even know they did E's in shoe sizes!

Misc said...

Oh, try Zappos online as well - free shipping and free returns.

Lindsay said...

I second the zappos.com suggestion. I have super long and narrow feet (and monkey toes to boot), and I've found Zappos quite helpful.

Also, not only is their shipping free, it is also usually overnight.

I agree C-U lacks options in the kids shoe department.