Friday, October 24, 2008

Mixed Emotions

As anyone who has had a conversation with me in the last year knows, I'm interested in taking some classwork in early education and becoming a pre-school teacher at some point down the road. I love kids. I have always loved kids. And most kids respond positively to me. I wear Elmo shirts. I'm spontaneous. I plan fun outings, but I'm structured and I don't take lip.

Today, I took the CARE group to a local candy shop for a tour I had planned three weeks ago. When I made the reservation I was really clear that the kids were young (ages 2-5 for the most part). I followed their rules for limiting the group to 15, and we all arrived pretty much on time. 

The woman giving the tour let us know that she used to be a teacher. She seemed very interested/surprised that all of us with toddlers were mostly in our thirties. I think she was trying to make some kind of comment about how mothers with kids our age were usually younger... Anway, MacTroll swears she probably did older grades, but she didn't seem to get that toddlers don't care about history. She was openly frustrated with them. 

What they want to hear is that she's the modern day candy woman. They want to see the big jars of cherries and the cool dipping of the chocolate. They'd want to see her drizzle chocolate over pretzels and then pass them out to the kids. They'd be thrilled with the giant bowls and the huge mixers... lots of things they could see without having to deal with any cooking or dangerous kitchen implements.

But there didn't seem to be any prep for that. And I could tell, in comparison to our other awesome trips to the bakery or the grocery store or the pizza kitchen that parents were disappointed. I know it wasn't my fault. But I felt responsible... like I'd dragged everyone with their small children to a town 20 miles away for something less than stellar. Even though my family enjoys going down there for lunch and gummi bears and almond bark on occasion. I was disappointed.

I guess, there are people who are good with little kids and there are others that don't understand them at all. But I knew in the first 30 seconds that the woman started talking that I probably could have done a more age-appropriate job even though I didn't work there. 

This has happened before: Our trip to the Champaign Police Department was similarly not a great fit... when it would have been really easy to adjust for smaller kids. I mean, hello, police cars, police motorcycles, McGruff!

The guilt for the trip faded away though over two martinis with MacTroll and some Tapas at Radio Maria for MacTroll's 33rd Birthday dinner (his birthday is the 27th when he's away at a conference), while X-man got to eat dinner and play with the Quigs fam and the Freak family. Adult-only dinner was really awesome. And we appreciated it greatly. Especially when X-man pretty  much fell asleep on the 8-block drive from Quigs house to ours.

7 comments:

Quigs78 said...

We had a lot of fun tonight! The kids all played together fabulously!

I will go on record to say that I will watch X-man any day. With or without DQ. (But I'll take ice cream any day, too.) ;)

The Fearless Freak said...

So not your fault. I called RF and the way home and told him that I felt bad that the woman was openly hostile about the attention span of the kids because I knew you would feel like it was your fault. Lunch looked like it would have been good, but my kids were just not geared up for sitting still and after the candy lady's attitude, I was hesitant to let them loose, lest they wreak havoc. We did get some tasty chocolate before we left though :)

And you guys looked SUPER FAB for your date. Totally hot! :) Glad it was fun for you

makeup_girl said...

Harley Q and I chatted on the phone during our drive back home from Tuscola. We both were hoping that you wouldn't blame yourself for this crazy lady's attitude.
I'm glad it only took 2 martinis to chase the guilt away! ;-)

libbygirl said...

Tell MacTroll Happy B-day from our family if I don't see him before he takes off.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Jessica should have done your tour, she has a 3 year old son and has been super when I took Henry there.

~rachel~ said...

Yes it was definetly not your fault. I'm guessing she was the teacher nobody wanted to get! We had a great lunch, some candy and went shopping- so not a wasted trip at all :)

Amy said...

I was worried you would feel guilty, DON'T! It's not your fault the lady couldn't get it together for our tour. She has plenty of advance warning. Plus, I did purchase some yummy candy and I ate it even if one piece was tainted. Also, we went shopping at the Tuscola Outlet Mall which I haven't been to in forever and I got some stuff I needed. So "Thank You" for the excuse to drive to Tuscola, I wouldn't have gone otherwise.